This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3953 / 54°23'43"N
Longitude: -1.3039 / 1°18'14"W
OS Eastings: 445291
OS Northings: 500204
OS Grid: NZ452002
Mapcode National: GBR MKBM.H5
Mapcode Global: WHD7Q.YS7C
Entry Name: Arncliffe Hall, and Wall Attached to South East
Listing Date: 5 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333125
Location: Ingleby Arncliffe, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL6
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ingleby Arncliffe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ingleby Arncliffe All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
INGLEBY ARNCLIFFE INGLEBY CROSS
NZ 40 SE
East side (off)
9/67 Arncliffe Hall,
5/5/52 and wall attached
Country house, 1753-4 by John Carr of York for Thomas Mauleverer.
Coursed finely herringbone-tooled sandstone with dressings; Welsh
slate roof with stone stacks.
3 storeys and basement, 5 bays on entrance front. Alternating quoins,
ground floor band, ground- and first-floor cill bands, stepped eaves.
Balustraded central steps to 6-panel door, with 4-pane overlight, in
stone architrave with bracketed cornice and pediment. Original sash
windows, 12-pane in main floors, shorter 6-pane in attic and basement.
All windows under flat arches with cut voussoirs, those on ground
floor with dripmoulds. At left the remains of a demolished C19 wing:
One low storey, with cornice band and parapet, now altered to garage.
Hipped main roof.
Right return elevation 3 bays. In basement a Diocletian window with
flanking blind panels. Irregular ground floor with 3 sash windows
and 2 blank recesses. Upper floors hold giant round-arched recess
whose long voussoirs radiate from the archivolt of a Venetian window
with blank central panel (concealing room division within); blank
outer recesses,2 corniced chimneys on eaves.
Grand garden front of 5 bays has rusticated basement forming big
window voussoirs. Central Imperial perron to part-glazed door with
overlight in pedimented Roman Doric doorcase with engaged columns.
Glazing as on entrance front. All windows (except on top floor) in
architraves with swell frieze and cornice, those on ground floor
pedimented, the inner ones segmental. At right an added conservatory
on the old basement site has an extended wall with pedimented
gateway matching the garden wall (q.v.).
Interior: 3 principal rooms: saloon, dining room and library. In
2 former elaborately-enriched woodwork includes doors, architraves,
chair-rails, skirtings, window shutters and panelling. Saloon has
pedimented doorcases and garlanded panels above windows, dining-room
has serpentine friezes and modillion cornices over doors. Both
rooms have splendid rococo plaster ceilings: saloon has central
medallion with life-size Flora and border of shells, vine sprays,
leaves and scrolls; and enriched modillion cornice. Dining-room
has a deeper, richer cornice, with scrolls and shells in frieze, and
a leafy centrepiece whose wide border holds scrolls, garland and
diaper panels; similar corner pieces. Both rooms have carved
chimneypieces, that in the saloon echoing the ceiling motifs and
with a broken-pedimented overmantel, that in the dining-room open-
pedimented with an upper shelf. The library is simpler but has a
rich cornice and a carved chimney-piece with ceramic panel and
overmantel. Staircase has closed string and turned balusters (lower
flight moved) around open well with panelled wall and enriched doors
and restored rococo landing of angel in landscape with shell, scroll
and leafy boarders.
Listing NGR: NZ4529100204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings