This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4486 / 54°26'55"N
Longitude: -1.1056 / 1°6'20"W
OS Eastings: 458092
OS Northings: 506281
OS Grid: NZ580062
Mapcode National: GBR NKQ0.F2
Mapcode Global: WHD7M.ZFPZ
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 23 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151383
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333146
Location: Ingleby Greenhow, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, TS9
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ingleby Greenhow
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ingleby Greenhow St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: York
INGLEBY GREENHOW CHURCH BANK
NZ 50 NE
5/87 Church of
23/6/66 St. Andrew
Church. C12, C13, 1741 and 1906. Coursed squared stone, the C18
work herringbone-tooled; nave roof not visible, chancel roof metalled;
stone coping. West turret: 5-bay nave with north aisle and south
porch; 2-bay chancel (3 bays internally) with north vestry. West
turret: C12 base has round-arched slit window on west side; bell
stage corbelled on west side with broad, trefoil-headed, louvred,
openings; coved cornice; pyramidal stone roof with pyramidal finial.
Nave: south side 1741. Door within C18 gabled porch which has C20
double door in round-arched surround with imposts and dropped
keystone, recessed date plaque, eaves band and cusped kneelers.
3 windows with keyed segmental-arched lintels. Gutter spouts. Eaves
band. Shallow roof. North aisle has C18 windows. Chancel : south
side has C12 priest's door with archivolt in C18 surround with
columns, imposts and keyed round arch; segmental-arched window to
left; lancet to right; shallow roof. C18 keyed segmental-arched
window to east end. On north side chamfered plinth, a square-headed
window, and 1906 vestry in C16 style.
Interior: probably late C12 stepped round-arched aisle arcade with
hoodmould, the columns alternately circular and octagonal and having
coved capitals with recessed angles containing heads and animals,
the carvings possibly C19. In nave north wall, fragments of medieval
carved stones. Narrow round arch to turret which has splayed reveal
to slit window. Round chancel arch on attached circular columns
with imposts, flanked by squints. Chancel south-east window has
shouldered-arched reveal. Nave roof has cambered tie-beams on later
corbels, with short king-posts and later purlins, ridge-piece and
rafters. Chancel has very short crownpost trusses. Nave south
door is C18 panelled double door. Two recumbent effigies, one of
a priest (Willimus Wrelton, incumbent c.1300), the other of a knight
(probably C15), both on rebuilt bases, that below the priest effigy
incorporating fragments of carved medieval stones. C12 tub font on
probably C13 swept circular base with deep roll moulding, the
carving of the basin not fully finished.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Yorkshire, The North Riding (1981)
Listing NGR: NZ5809006277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings