History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Chapel and Attached Schoolroom

A Grade II Listed Building in Bilsdale Midcable, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3908 / 54°23'26"N

Longitude: -1.1408 / 1°8'26"W

OS Eastings: 455892

OS Northings: 499820

OS Grid: SE558998

Mapcode National: GBR NKGN.TS

Mapcode Global: WHD7T.GW0T

Entry Name: Methodist Chapel and Attached Schoolroom

Listing Date: 30 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151394

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333071

Location: Bilsdale Midcable, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, TS9

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Bilsdale Midcable

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bilsdale Priory St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Chop Gate

Listing Text

BILSDALE MIDCABLE CHOP GATE
SE 59 NE
16/13 Methodist Chapel
and attached
schoolroom
II
GV

Chapel dated 1878 with additions and alterations probably of the
1890s. Coursed squared tooled sandstone with chamfered plinth and
quoins. Schoolroom finely-coursed stone with ashlar porch. Welsh
slate roof with stone ridge, copings and kneelers. Gothic style.
Gabled entrance front has central ledged oak door with fanlight.
Y-traceried recessed round-arched windows with cut voussoirs. On
left return 2 similar windows. Inserted Perpendicular-style window
on rear elevation and small castellated bell-tower with basement
door. Right return shows added schoolroom with extruded porch.
Caernarvon-arched doorway, with ledged oak door, and Perpendicular-
style windows.
Interior plastered, with ribbed boarded ceiling. Wide pointed stone
arch to schoolroom on right. Numbered benches, raised up shallow
steps at back. Choir benches at right also raised. Carved pulpit
at left, probably circa 1900. Communion table and rail between.
Box organ at right in front of choir: "Carson's Patent - The Positive
Organ". East end woodwork of good quality, but strange lectern
with human feet. Contemporary glass with small decorative panels
in schoolroom.


Listing NGR: SE5589299820

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.