History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Woollen Market Hall to North of the Magdalen Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Doncaster, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5254 / 53°31'31"N

Longitude: -1.1315 / 1°7'53"W

OS Eastings: 457670

OS Northings: 403545

OS Grid: SE576035

Mapcode National: GBR NWJN.TY

Mapcode Global: WHDD2.LNC6

Entry Name: Former Woollen Market Hall to North of the Magdalen Hotel

Listing Date: 5 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151431

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335066

Location: Doncaster, DN1

County: Doncaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Doncaster

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Doncaster

Listing Text

TOWN OF DONCASTER MARKET PLACE
SE 50 SE (east side)

3/70 Former Woollen Market
Hall to north of
The Magdalen Hotel

GV II

Wool market, now general market. 1861-3, designed by J Butterfield for Doncaster
Corporation. Brick and cast and wrought iron construction with slate and glass
roof. Tall single storey, 9 bays by 7 bays with 4 internal arcades supporting 4
ranges of roof. Market Road elevation is of brick with stone dressings and has
9 bays, articulated by brick pilasters with stone capitals. Each bay except
entrance to left, has 3 adjoining semi-circular headed openings with stone sills,
flush brick arches with stepped voussoirs and metal windows, which have radial
glazing to the heads. Bay 7 has inserted entrance below the windows. Original
entrance to left has segmental arched opening with corniced ashlar keystone and
ashlar imposts; C20 door and glazing within. Gable above with raked cornice and
stone copings. Corbelled cornice and stone copings to other bays. Hipped roofs.
Other sides of the building to north and west have arcades of cast iron columns
with arched braces over the capitals, supporting decorative pierced iron beams with
cornice-like gutters to top. All arches are now filled in with later glazing or
blocking. Entrance to Market Place, to right of western elevation, has segmental
iron arch with pierced beam over flanked by panelled piers with ball finials to
top, all now filled in wich later doors and glazing. Hipped slate roofs with ridges
glazed. Interior has 4 arcades of similar piers and beams supporting roof made
up of thin tensioned wrought iron rods, bolted together. Listed partly for historic
interest.


Listing NGR: SE5767003545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.