History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory and St Anthony's

A Grade II Listed Building in Burghwallis, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6025 / 53°36'8"N

Longitude: -1.1895 / 1°11'22"W

OS Eastings: 453730

OS Northings: 412072

OS Grid: SE537120

Mapcode National: GBR NV4S.8B

Mapcode Global: WHDCN.PQR4

Entry Name: The Old Rectory and St Anthony's

Listing Date: 23 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151456

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334930

Location: Burghwallis, Doncaster, DN6

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Burghwallis

Built-Up Area: Burghwallis

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Burghwallis St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Carcroft

Listing Text

BURGHNALLIS GRANGE LANE
SE 51 SW (south side, off)

3/66 The Old Rectory
and St. Anthony's
GV II
Rectory now 3 dwellings. Rebuilt 1815 by J. P. Pritchett and Charles Watson
(Colvin p665). Roughcast brick, C20 tile and Welsh slate roofs.
The Old Rectory: 2 storeys and attics, 3 x 2 bays; shallower wing set back on
left (St. Anthony's) is of 3 storeys and 5 bays. The Old Rectory: plinth.
Central, single-store, porch with angled corners and double part-glazed doors
beneath fanlight with radial glazing bars; pedimented gable. Outer bays have
projecting sills to tall sashes with glazing bars. 1st floor: shorter sashes
with glazing bars, the central sash of 16 panes. Eaves cornice and broad
gable copings surmounted by corniced end stacks an each roof slope; similar
central ridge stack. Right return: French window on left, other bays on each
floor have blind window recesses; pedimented gable with glazed oculus in
tympanum. St. Anthony's (of less interest) has central wooden porch with
16-pane sash on left and with glazed door and small casement beyond; tall
sash with glazing bars on right with door and small casement beyond. Sashes
with glazing bars to 1st floor; 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor. Rebuilt brick
end stack on left and similar central ridge stack. Blind windows on left
return.

H. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840,
1978 ed.


Listing NGR: SE5373112072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.