History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Laurence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Adwick le Street & Carcroft, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5712 / 53°34'16"N

Longitude: -1.1845 / 1°11'4"W

OS Eastings: 454098

OS Northings: 408601

OS Grid: SE540086

Mapcode National: GBR NW54.BJ

Mapcode Global: WHDCV.SH3K

Entry Name: Church of St Laurence

Listing Date: 19 October 1962

Last Amended: 10 March 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151473

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334873

Location: Doncaster, DN6

County: Doncaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Adwick le Street & Carcroft

Built-Up Area: Adwick le Street

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Adwick-le-Street St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Carcroft

Listing Text

ADWICK-LE-STREET CHURCH LANE
SE 50 NW (north-west side)

6/9 Church of St. Lawrence
(Formerly listed as
Church of St Lawrence)

19.10.62
GV II*

Church. C12, C13, C14 and C15 restored 1862 and 1875, Rubble and ashlar
limestone, stone slate roofs, 2-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with south
porch and north aisle, narrower 2-bay chancel with north chapel and vestry.
Tower: Perpendicular; chamfered plinth and moulded band, diagonal buttresses
to lower stage. West side has pointed 3-light window in chamfered surround
beneath clock; string course with image niche; cusped iron clockface on south
side; louvred, cusped 2-light belfry openings with pointed arches beneath
string course with gargoyles; embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles
(1 missing). Nave: south wall encased in 1875 with chamfered plinth and
broad buttresses; half-timbered porch of same date encloses C12 south doorway
with single order of columns within pier projections, hoodmould and cusped
image niche over. Bays 2 and 3 have renewed 3-light windows with
intersecting tracery beneath gables which rise above offsets of encasing
wall; plain parapet. C15 north wall of large ashlar blocks has chamfered
plinth, moulded band, buttresses between bays and diagonal west buttress.
Blocked, square-headed north door beneath uncusped, square-headed window of
3 Tudor-arched lights, similar windows to other bays; aisle east window has
hoodmould. Chancel: lower and of various builds. Chamfered, square-headed
south priests' door beneath section of dripcourse; to west, a 2-light window
with shouldered heads; to east, a pointed 2-light window with geometrical
tracery and a square-headed window of 2 ogee lights, the latter flanked on
left by a slender flat buttress and on right by ashlar walling with diagonal
east buttress. String course steps down beneath east window with geometrical
tracery and hoodmould; oculus to coped gable. C13 north chapel has slender
buttresses flanking and beneath 2 lancet windows and has vesica in coped
gable. North wall has lancet window and blocked, square-headed window on
left of gabled vestry.

Interior: treble-chamfered, pointed tower arch. Early C14 north aisle arcade
with octagonal piers and matching west respond, moulded capitals and
3 double-chamfered pointed arches. Restored C15 nave roof with shallow
principal-rafter trusses with cusped stud infill, the end trusses set on
short posts with half-octagonal colonnettes; 2 purlins to each slope with
mask bosses at each truss and foliate bosses to ridge. Moulded north aisle
roof. Chancel: broad, double-chamfered chancel arch (the north end set on a
pier as aisle); double-chamfered arch from aisle to chapel. 2-bay chapel
arcade with quatrefoil pier and matching responds to double-chamfered arches,
also a half-arch to west. Chancel south wall to west has left jamb and the
head of a C12 window with blocked priest's door on its left. 2-seat sedilia
with central shaft and restored round arches. C2O chancel roof.
Monuments: cross-slab fragments in chancel floor. Tomb chest beneath east
bay of chapel arcade to James Washington with shields above chamfered plinth
and alabaster top, dated 1579, depicting him on his wife's left above
12 named children; another in north-east corner of chapel to Leonard Wray
with date 1590; a third in south-east corner with shields in quatrefoils and
much inscription. Early C19 monuments on north wall of chapel including
plaque in columned aedicule to John White of Doncaster and the East India Co.
(d.1837). Brasses: within sedilia to Rev. Hall (d.1793) and Rev. Brook
(d.1720); another brass in chancel notes details of C19 restorations.
Glass: 2 east windows of chapel by J. E. Nuttgens of High Wycunbe, 1943.


Listing NGR: SE5409808601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.