History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

L Shaped Barn Range Approximately 25 Metres to North of Lambcote Grange Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stainton, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4373 / 53°26'14"N

Longitude: -1.1926 / 1°11'33"W

OS Eastings: 453735

OS Northings: 393691

OS Grid: SK537936

Mapcode National: GBR NX3P.LK

Mapcode Global: WHDDF.NV9S

Entry Name: L Shaped Barn Range Approximately 25 Metres to North of Lambcote Grange Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151498

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334826

Location: Stainton, Doncaster, S66

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Stainton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Stainton St Winifred

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Mexborough

Listing Text

STAINTON FISH POND LANE
SK59SW (north side)
8/52
L-shaped barn range
approximately 25 metres
to north of Lambcote
Grange Farmhouse

GV II


Barn and cowhouses with loft. Dated MMP/l694, altered. Magnesian
limestone rubble, sheet asbestos roof. 2-storey, L-shaped range comprising
an 8-bay barn (orientated north-south) with 4-bay cowhouse projecting east at
north end. Barn (west side): large quoins; altered central waggon entrance;
3 ground-floor slit vents on left beneath 3 original openings with chamfered
ashlar surrounds (central opening altered, outer openings mostly intact);
brick addition to right of waggon entrance (not of special interest). East
side has opposed waggon entrance with original chamfered ashlar surround and
segmental arch; other later openings. South gable oculus with ashlar
surround dated 'MMP/1694'. North end has slit vents. Cowhouse wing (south
side): original doorway, adjacent to barn, has chamfered ashlar surround;
another doorway on right with wooden lintel and ashlar surround facing
interior; 2 slit vents on right. 1st floor: recessed chamfered single-light
window on right of bonded ashlar loading doorway (now infilled and with
slatted casement); external stone steps against right gable. North side:
remains of 3 original chamfered ashlar openings; others inserted.
Interior: 3 original principal-rafter trusses, at south end of barn, have
raking struts. Similar trusses over cowhouse, single purlins, rafters laid
flat. Presumably built by the Purslove family soon after purchase of
Lambcote Grange in 1690 (indenture preserved in house q.v.). Other attached
farmbuildings not of special interest.


Listing NGR: SK5373593691

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.