History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Adwick le Street & Carcroft, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5627 / 53°33'45"N

Longitude: -1.1989 / 1°11'55"W

OS Eastings: 453159

OS Northings: 407635

OS Grid: SE531076

Mapcode National: GBR NW27.7M

Mapcode Global: WHDCV.KQ95

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 23 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334868

Location: Doncaster, DN6

County: Doncaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Adwick le Street & Carcroft

Built-Up Area: Adwick le Street

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Woodlands All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Carcroft

Listing Text

ADWICK-LE-STREET CENTRAL AVENUE
SE 50 NW (west side),
Woodlands

11/4 Church of All Saints

GV II
Church. 1911-13, By W. H. Wood for patron Charles Thellusson of Brodsworth
Hall. Red brick in English bond with some ashlar sandstone dressings, tiled
roofs. Orientated north-west/south-east, ritual orientation used here.
4-bay aisled nave with entrance beneath tower at north-west corner; 2-bay
chancel with north chapel and south organ chamber and vestry. In Romanesque
style: round-arched openings with pelleted hoodmoulds. Tower: 4 + 2 stages
with spire; chamfered brick plinth bands, clasping buttresses (that to south-
west incorporating stair turret); north doorway with shafts (1 missing) to
round arch over double doors with keyed lintel; string course beneath 2nd
stage; offset beneath upper stages with 2-light louvred belfry openings in
hooded recesses; offset beneath embattled parapet behind which rises an
octagonal, 2-stage turret with diagonal buttresses and clocks beneath pointed
2-light louvred openings on the cardinal faces; turret parapet around
recessed needle spire. Nave: brick plinth, buttresses between bays. North
side has door and window to easternmost bay and 2 windows to other bays,
lean-to roof; groups of 3 clerestorey windows to each bay; gable coping with
apex crosses. South side similar, doorway to bay 1. West end has 2 windows
in a projection beneath 3-light window with shafts; circular gable window.
Chancel : lower. Separately-roofed north chapel with east buttress and
3 windows to north; circular ashlar window to east. East end of chancel, set
forward, has clasping buttesses and foundation stone dated 1911 below window
of 3 stepped lights divided by shafts and with roundels beneath round arch.
Hipped-roof south organ chamber with lower flat-roofed vestry on east;
chancel above has lateral stack on left of 2 windows and east gable copings
with cross.

Interior: arcades have octagonal and cylindrical piers and 3-order round
arches in brick with continuous pelleted hoodmoulds. Chancel arch has shafts
in the jambs; large round arch into organ chamber, 2 smaller arches into
north chapel on cylindrical pier with carved capital. Fittings; no pews;
traceried roof screen with crucifixion. Plaque on south-west pier of nave
records Charles Thellussun's gift of the church to the parish upon its
consecration in 1913.

The church forms a focal point of the Woodlands colliery village laid out and
designed by Percy B, Houfton of Chesterfield for the Brodsworth Colliery
Company during 1907-1908. Houfton had previously designed colliery estates
at Creswell and Bolsover in Derbyshire and with the sinking of the Brodsworth
Colliery in 1907 was commissioned to lay out housing along the enlightened
lines of the newly emerging Garden Cities movement. Houfton applied the Arts
and Crafts style to the estate houses which were built in 2 phases; the style
borrows from that of C. F. A, Voysey who, in 1904/5, had designed some
colliery housing at Whitwood, nr. Castleford, Leeds (Davey, plate 87). Phase
one of Woodlands took place around a parkland site and its irregular low
density plan retaining mature trees has most appeal although most of its
housing has undergone alteration (see items listed under 'The Park'). Rapid
expansion of the colliery necessitated that the 2nd, much larger, phase be
hurried (to the dissatisfaction of Houfton himself) and the resultant scheme
is one of greater density around a horseshoe crescent with central and
radiating avenues. Several blocks of little-altered housing survive to
illustrate the nature of the original scheme (see under Central Avenue, Great
North Road, Green Lane, Harold Avenue, Quarry Lane, The Crescent and West
Avenue). Primary and Secondary schools and the present Health Centre are the
most notable public buildings erected on the estate (see under Central
Avenue, Chadwick Road and The Park). The estate received critical acclaim at
the time and its importance has been outlined more recently by Martin Gaskell
(1979).

P. Davey, Arts an Crafts Architecture, 1980, p 94.

M. Gaskell, 'Model Industrial Villages in S. Yorkshire/N, Derbyshire and the
Early Town Planning Movement, Town Planninq Review, vol 50, No. 4, Oct
1979, pp437-458,


Listing NGR: SE5315907635

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.