History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rossington Hall and Attached Quadrant Wall on South East Side

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossington, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4628 / 53°27'46"N

Longitude: -1.0405 / 1°2'25"W

OS Eastings: 463798

OS Northings: 396654

OS Grid: SK637966

Mapcode National: GBR PX5D.JD

Mapcode Global: WHFFM.Z7P6

Entry Name: Rossington Hall and Attached Quadrant Wall on South East Side

Listing Date: 11 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151517

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334769

Location: Rossington, Doncaster, DN11

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Rossington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Rossington St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Finningley

Listing Text

SK69NW ROSSIN6TON BAWTRY ROAD
(west side, off)
7/68 Rossington Hall and
- attached quadrant wall
on south-east side
GV II
Large house now school Dated 1882, altered C20. By W. M. Teulon for James
Brown Jnr (d.1877); finally executed for his nephew R. J. Streatfield. Red
brick in English bond with moulded ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof.
3 storeys with attics, 5 x 5 bays; attached quadrant wall encloses small
garden on right return (south-east side). In Jacobethan style. Entrance
front: nearly symmetrical; outer bays have 2-storey flat-roofed projections
and are linked by a 1-storey ashlar-faced lobby having central double door
and overlight flanked by pilasters; to each side are 2 pairs of sashes with
overlights divided by pilasters; cornice beneath pierced parapet with dies
over each pilaster having urns and pedimented plaque over door. Projections
to bays 1 and 5 each have moulded plinth, octagonal corner piers and French
window with plain fanlight flanked by blind ashlar panels and by tall
transomed lights beneath a cornice; quoined lst-floor windows in same style;
cornice beneath pierced ashlar parapet with octagonal corner piers. Central
bays over lobby are divided by pilasters; tripartite central window with
round-headed centre-light; bay 2 and 3 have transomed 2-light windows. 2nd
floor: string course beneath superimposed order of pilasters flanking the
central bay which has tripartite window beneath pedimented cornice; bays 2
and 4 have windows as 1st floor but with cornices; bays 1 and 5 are flanked
by semi-octagonal brick piers and have French windows with transomed side-
lights in quoined and corniced surrounds. Arcaded parapet terminates at
shaped gables set over the end bays; each gable having corbelling beneath
blind arcading; a corner stack rises to right of bay 5. Hipped roof with
stacks to front slope on right of bay 1, to ridge on right of bay 3 and to
side ridges set to rear; the stacks have ashlar shoulders and panelled sides
with keystones beneath decorative, coved cornices. Set back on right and
attached to rear-right corner of house is a quadrant wall with moulded plinth
and with intermediate piers linked by a cresting of paired, inverted round
arches; tall corniced end piers with ball finials. Near junction with house
is a moulded-arched doorway with cornice; at other end is a spur wall with
smaller, ball-finialled end pier. Left return: asymetrical, articulated
facade with octagonal corner piers corbelled from lst-floor level. Near-
central projection with elaborate 2-storey porch on its right having doorway
with keyed archivolt flanked by banded ashlar piers supporting inverted
consoles; part-fluted angle pilasters to 1st floor flank a quoined 3-light
window beneath round-headed gable with arms and date 1882. Right return:
2-storey projection to bay 1; 3-storey projection to bay 5; generally
detailed as front with French windows to bays 1, 3 and 4.
Interior: entrance hall has marble Ionic columns and alabaster pilasters;
imperial stair with turned balusters and ball-finialled newels; panelled
dado, corniced doorcases and modillioned ceiling cornice. Room off corridor
to left has panelled oak dado and corniced doorcase; ceiling with moulded
ribbing and rosettes. Oak dog-leg stair, off same corridor, has twisted
balusters infilled with panels pierced by crosses; ball-finialled newels.
C20 additions to rear and fire escape on entrance front are not of special
interest.
James Brown, a Leeds woollen manufacturer, purchased the Rossington estate in
1838 and by 1855 had engaged Teulon to draft a scheme to extend the existing
Georgian house in the Gothic Revival style. Presumably the scheme was never
executed as Teulon was engaged by James Brown Jnr to design the present
structure on a cleared site.
F. A. Clarke, Rossington: glimpses into the past, 1986,pp16 and 17 (plates
show hall prior to removal of numerous architectural ornaments).
Rossington Hall drawings collection, Doncaster Archives, King Edwards Road,
Balby.


Listing NGR: SK6379896654

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.