This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4989 / 53°29'56"N
Longitude: -1.2254 / 1°13'31"W
OS Eastings: 451482
OS Northings: 400527
OS Grid: SE514005
Mapcode National: GBR MWWZ.HG
Mapcode Global: WHDD7.49RZ
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 5 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151529
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334790
Location: Cadeby, Doncaster, DN5
Civil Parish: Cadeby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sprotbrough St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
1/15 Church of St. John
Church now disused. 1856. By Sir George Gilbert Scott for patron Sir. J. W.
Copley Bart. Ashlar magnesian limestone, graduated slate roof. 3:2 bays with
aisles and chapels embraced in single vessel, gabled south porch. In Gothic
Revival style Chamfered plinth, low side walls with buttresses between bays
and at angles having offsets and gablets. Continuous nailhead carving and
string course run beneath lancet windows with chamfered surrounds, cusping
and hoodmoulds. Large porch to bay 2 has treble-shafted, moulded arch
beneath sunken trefoil with naturalistic carving; outer and inner sides have
3-bay arcading with shafts, blind side lights and shared hoodmoulds continued
from the south door impost (inner arcading now very weathered). Priests'
door on right of bay 4 has pointed arch and hoodmould. Chamfered eaves band
and hidden gutter to catslide roof with coped gables and decorated apex
stones; sanctus bell-cote with ashlar base and wooden belfry. Large
buttresses flank tall, paired, 2-light west windows in moulded surrounds with
cusping and quinquefoils at each head, shared hoodmoulds; raised circular
surround to gable window with 3 trefoils. Similar buttresses flank a 3-light
east window having 3 trefoils in a circle at its head and hoodmould; aisle
lancets. Octagonal flue at north-east corner.
Interior: aisle arcades have circular piers, capitals with naturalistic
foliage carving and moulded arches. Chancel arch has keeled and shafted
responds and head-carved hoodmould stops. Chapel arcades have keeled,
quatrefoil piers and angels on the hoodmould stops. Although disused the
church retains most contemporary fittings including octagonal font and wooden
pulpit. Interior not fully inspected. The church seated 150 persons and
cost £6,000 to build; consecrated Sept 25 1860 (Whites Directory of Sheffield
Listing NGR: SE5148200527
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings