History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Village Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Finningley, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4848 / 53°29'5"N

Longitude: -0.9907 / 0°59'26"W

OS Eastings: 467070

OS Northings: 399150

OS Grid: SK670991

Mapcode National: GBR PXJ4.9J

Mapcode Global: WHFFG.RNFV

Entry Name: The Village Hall

Listing Date: 11 January 1988

Last Amended: 16 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151558

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334764

Location: Finningley, Doncaster, DN9

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Finningley

Built-Up Area: Finningley

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Finningley

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Finningley

Listing Text

SK69NE FINNINGLEY OLD BAWTRY ROAD
(west side)
8/63 Parish Council Rooms
- II
The entry shall be amended to read:-

SK69NE FINNINGLEY OLD BAWTRY ROAD
(west side)
8/63 The Village Hall
(formerly the Finningley
C of E School)
- II

------------------------------------

SK69NE FINNINGLEY OLD BAWTRY ROAD
(west side)
8/63 Parish Council Rooms
-
- II
School now parish council rooms. Converted from an C18 barn into school
c1839 (Woodhouse pp 40-41); altered. Painted brick, renewed pantile roof.
1-storey, 5 bays. Central doorway with wide, studded door in eared
architrave; shaped plaque above has arms and inscription:
'THIS SCHOOL AND THE ADJOINING HOUSE/WERE PRESENTED TO THE PARISH/
OF FINNINGLEY/AND ENDOWED WITH AN ANNUAL INCOME OF/TWENTY POUNDS/
BY/JOHN HARVEY ESQ/OF ICKWELL BURY/AD 1855'
Other bays have projecting stone sills to large C20 casements with glazing
bars beneath flat arches with keystones. Dentilled eaves. Remains of wooden
bellcote at right end of ridge. Rev. Woodhouse (op.cit) notes that in 1836
£100 was given by John Harvey to buy a church clock; the money was eventually
used to convert this building from a barn into a school room, (the freehold
of which was given to the parish in 1855).
Rev. G. A. Woodhouse, Finningley, 1877.


Listing NGR: SK6707099150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.