History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Saviour

A Grade II Listed Building in Auckley, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4993 / 53°29'57"N

Longitude: -1.0188 / 1°1'7"W

OS Eastings: 465187

OS Northings: 400734

OS Grid: SE651007

Mapcode National: GBR PWBZ.7B

Mapcode Global: WHFFG.B93Q

Entry Name: Church of St Saviour

Listing Date: 11 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151573

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334700

Location: Auckley, Doncaster, DN9

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Auckley

Built-Up Area: Auckley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Auckley

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Armthorpe

Listing Text

SE60SE AUCKLEY MAIN STREET.
(west side)
4/2 Church of St. Saviour
-
GV II
Church. 1837. By William Hurst of Doncaster (Woodhouse p.61). Yellow brick
in Flemish bond, C20 cement-tile roof. Combined nave and chancel with north
and south porches; 3 bays. Gothic Revival style. Chamfered plinth. Central
north porch has panelled door and pointed overlight in chamfered brick
surround with string course rising as hoodmould and peaked string course
over; ashlar gable copings rise to apex block with gablets. Sides of porch
have square-headed, 2-light mullioned windows with string course rising over
as a hoodmould. Outer bays have string course continued from porch and
pilaster buttresses to outer sides of 2-light windows having cusped cast-iron
tracery in double-chamfered, pointed-arched surrounds with hoodmoulds. Eaves
band with corbelled blocks forming kneelers to ashlar gable copings; east
cross; ashlar west bellcote. East window is of 3-lights with cusped, cast-
iron tracery. West end has 2 blind lancet windows and gable vesica. The
cast-iron windows were supplied by Messrs. Marshall of Derby; other building
details recorded in: Rev G. H. Woodhouse, Finningley, 1877.


Listing NGR: SE6518700734

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.