This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4474 / 53°26'50"N
Longitude: -1.0051 / 1°0'18"W
OS Eastings: 466174
OS Northings: 394974
OS Grid: SK661949
Mapcode National: GBR PXFK.6X
Mapcode Global: WHFFN.JML0
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 27 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334702
Location: Austerfield, Doncaster, DN10
Civil Parish: Austerfield
Built-Up Area: Austerfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bawtry with Austerfield
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK69SE AUSTERFIELD HIGH STREET
10/4 The Manor House
27th May 1953
House of 2 builds. Late C16 and early C17; altered C19. Timber-framed with
later brick infill; pantile roof. L-shaped plan with 2-bay lobby-entry hall-
block added to 2-bay crosswing. 2 storeys, 2:1 windows to 1st floor.
Entrance front: hall block, on left, has added porch flanked by 3-light
casement windows on each floor. Cross-wing projecting on right has exposed
corner posts and similar casements. Brick ridge stack above porch; cross-
wing has hipped roof with brick ridge stack. Rear: hall block has 3 exposed
wall posts, those on left with exposed braces to the wallplate.
Interior: not inspected.
A detailed survey (S. R. Jones) records that the cross-wing is of better
quality timberwork and has transverse ceiling joists in the front ground-
floor room pegged to a spine bean which also has mortices for a partition
wall. The central post of the wing, at junction with the hall-block, has
been removed but the weathered wall-plate survives with mortices for light
studding thus indicating the separate dates of the 2 structures possibly
occupied by separate households of the sane family. Once home of William
Bradford who sailed on the Mayflower in 1620; he was made Governor of
Plymouth Colony in April 1621, a post which he held (apart from 5 years)
until his death in 1657. He wrote the "History of Plymouth Colony" a
manuscript found in Fulham Palace Library in 1855 and given to the United
S. R. Jones, 'The Manor House Austerfield', survey report in South Yorkshire
County Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield, primary index No 1503.
Listing NGR: SK6617494974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings