History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sprotbrough Park Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Sprotbrough, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5118 / 53°30'42"N

Longitude: -1.1869 / 1°11'12"W

OS Eastings: 454019

OS Northings: 401992

OS Grid: SE540019

Mapcode National: GBR NW4T.VT

Mapcode Global: WHDD1.RZ0M

Entry Name: Sprotbrough Park Stables

Listing Date: 5 June 1968

Last Amended: 11 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151605

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334570

Location: Sprotbrough and Cusworth, Doncaster, DN5

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Sprotbrough and Cusworth

Built-Up Area: Sprotbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sprotbrough St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Doncaster

Listing Text


SE50SW SPROTBROUGH PARK DRIVE
(south side, off)
7/149 Sprotbrough Park Stables
(part of item formerly
listed as
5.6.68 Sprotbrough Park Stables,
central entrance archway)

II

Stable-bock now derelict and used as store. Probably late C18, for the Copley
family of Sprotbrough Hall (demolished 1926). Roughcast and stuccoed rubble
limestone, corrugated-iron and sheet-asbestos roofs although some Westmorland
slates remain. 2-storey entrance gateway and end pavilions with single-storey,
3-bay link blocks; wing to rear of each pavilion. Plinth, large quoins exposed
beneath decayed rendering. Central round arch has impost band to keyed archivolt
flanked by lozenge-shaped panels in the renderings Deep band beneath 5 oculi
in architraves (outer and central oculi blind). Pedimented gable. Link blocks
(obscured it time of resurvey) have joints ruled on stucco and have sashes with
glazing bars and central stack on front roof slope. Pavilions each have door
beneath bracketed ledge to lst-floor door with overlight and round, brick arch.
Pyramidal roofs with oversailing eaves. Altered rear wings retain some round-arched
doorways and unequally-hung 15-pane sashes.


Listing NGR: SE5403901995

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.