This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5416 / 53°32'29"N
Longitude: -1.221 / 1°13'15"W
OS Eastings: 451718
OS Northings: 405274
OS Grid: SE517052
Mapcode National: GBR MWXH.F5
Mapcode Global: WHDD1.67TS
Entry Name: Marr Hall
Listing Date: 5 June 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334550
Location: Marr, Doncaster, DN5
Civil Parish: Marr
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bilham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE50NW MARR BARNSLEY ROAD
5/129 Marr Hall
Manor house. C16 west front, south front altered early C19, C20 renovation.
Ashlar limestone, C20 cement-tile eaves courses to pantile roof. L-shaped plan.
2 storeys. West front: 2 bays. Chamfered plinth. Left part of house truncated,
C16 single-storey porch leads into lean-to addition on return wall of house.
Porch has moulded round arch with decorative moulding stops and impost, flanking
pilasters and entablature surmounted by architraved panel bearing arms. Canted,
2-storey bay window immediately to right has 1:2:4:2:1 transomed lights the outermost
lights in the face of the main wall. Transomed 5-light mullioned window on right.
Continuous dripmould. lst-floor windows under dripmould the same, except outermost
lights of bay are blind. South (entrance) front: 4 bays. Door with overlight in
open stone porch with part-fluted columns and pediment. Tripartite windows have
unequally-hung sashes with glazing bars in renewed stone surrounds with hoodmoulds.
Remains of C16 window surrounds visible in walling. Stone inscribed 'ANNO DOM 1664'
near eaves. Pebble-dashed addition to right has matching window to each floor.
Hipped roof with renewed, corniced wallstone ridge stacks.
Interior: generally altered. Wooden plaque near stairs has scratch-moulded surround
to 3 panels with inlaid lozenges with arms and the words 'BLESSED IS GOD IN AL HIS
GIFTES AND HOLY IN AL HIS WORKS / ANNO 1582 / LEWYS / RERESBY'. Timbers within
rear porch salvaged from roof space include the words 'Peter Thellusson Esq.
Landlord... John Snowden Tenant of this Place.... This hall repaired in 1794'. Brick
oven in room to right of south front has segmentally-arched, keyed lintel to opening.
Listing NGR: SE5171805274
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings