History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Frickley Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Clayton with Frickley, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5713 / 53°34'16"N

Longitude: -1.295 / 1°17'41"W

OS Eastings: 446786

OS Northings: 408525

OS Grid: SE467085

Mapcode National: GBR MWD4.FJ

Mapcode Global: WHDCT.2HMK

Entry Name: Frickley Hall

Listing Date: 5 June 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334467

Location: Clayton with Frickley, Doncaster, DN5

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Clayton with Frickley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bilham

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Brodsworth

Listing Text


SE40NE CLAYTON WITH FRICKLEY FRICKLEY PARK

4/46 Frickley Hall

5.6.68

II

Country house. 'Built between 1722 and 1785 for Anthony Wharton of Carhouse,
near Doncaster' (previous list description); present structure appears to be
an early C19 rebuilding of the C18 house. Deeply-coursed, dressed sandstone;
graduated Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys, 2:3:2 bays with additional bay
set back to left and double service wing to rear right, principal entrance on
right return. Garden front: symmetrical. Plinth. 3-bay, pedimented projection
with French window in architrave, pulvinated frieze and consoled cornice. Ground-
floor sill band, 2-pane sashes, bays 6 and 7 having sashes with glazing bars,
consoled cornices to bays 2 and 6. 1st-floor band beneath sashes with glazing
bars, bays 2, 4 and 6 with shaped sill blocks. Bay set back to left has French
window, otherwise as front. Modillioned cornice, keyed oeil-de-boeuf in pediment
has radial glazing bars. Hipped roof; 2 multiple-flue stacks in line behind ridge;
another smaller stack to left. Rear: twin-gabled service wing clearly shows
rebuilding of an earlier range built of local stone. Right return entrance front:
5-bays. Glazed Doric porch-with pediment. Sashes with glazing bars. Service
wing set back on right.

Interior: central entrance hall has cantilevered stone staircase with fluted,
square balusters; landing archivolts with matching balustrades; rectangular
lantern with c6ffered central panel. 6-panel doors with central flute, some have
Arts and Crafts copper fingerplates. Library has Delft-tile fireplace with
pedimented bookcase over; ceiling frieze of roses and thistles. Wood fireplaces
in other rooms, that to dining room with pastoral scene and festoons, that to
sitting room with twin Doric columns. 1st floor: interesting Arts and Crafts
fireplace in room to far left of garden front has beaten copper surround with
Vitruvian scroll beneath ancient ship sailing towards setting sun; overmantel
now with plain panel and motto. 'EAST WEST HAME'S BEST'; contemporary wall cupboards
and shelving. Early C19 cast-iron fireplaces in some other rooms.


Listing NGR: SE4678608525

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.