This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4313 / 53°25'52"N
Longitude: -1.1108 / 1°6'38"W
OS Eastings: 459174
OS Northings: 393086
OS Grid: SK591930
Mapcode National: GBR NXPR.9Q
Mapcode Global: WHDDN.X06V
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151698
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334379
Location: Tickhill, Doncaster, DN11
Civil Parish: Tickhill
Built-Up Area: Tickhill
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Tickhill St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
ST MARY'S ROAD
5096 Church of St Mary
SK 5993 2/1 27.12.62
One of the 6 larger parish churches in the former West Riding. Magnesian
limestone. Lower stage of tower early C13. North-east chapel evidently
earlier C14. Remainder probably rebuilt not long after, and ending up
with the west tower which can be dated by historic evidence 1373-99.
Tower still incomplete in 1429, possibly providing a date for the
crenellated parapet. Lower stage of tower includes simple clasping
buttresses, and elaborate Early English west doorway, all decorated with nailhead. North-east chapel has Decorated tracery. Nave and aisles early Perpendicular in style; steep 2-centred arches throughout, arcade upper
mouldings carried upwards originally to foliated crockets. Nave east
window over (low) chancel arch, on the Gloucester/Cirencester/Northleach
model. Two clerestory windows per bay, on the East Anglian model. Unusual crenellations to tower parapet, linked by arches, on the model of Blyth
One monument of considerable art-historical importance to Thomas
Fitzwilliam (died 1478) and his wife, removed from the Friary at the
Dissolution. Probably circa 1530 and early English Renaissance in style. Alabaster. Tomb-chest with 2 reclining figures. Simple iron railings.
Several wall tablets, including 2 good Baroque ones. Painted C18 Royal
arms. Fine traceried wooden screen to north-east chapel. Perpendicular
style, but with rather unusual detailing, perhaps C17. Traceried wooden
pulpit, also perhaps C17. C14 or C15 stained glass in south aisle window, allegedly brought from Roche Abbey. Perpendicular panelled stone pulpit.
Listing NGR: SK5917493086
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings