History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Folds Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Tickhill, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4094 / 53°24'33"N

Longitude: -1.1333 / 1°8'0"W

OS Eastings: 457708

OS Northings: 390632

OS Grid: SK577906

Mapcode National: GBR NYJ0.FK

Mapcode Global: WHDDN.KKJN

Entry Name: Folds Cottage

Listing Date: 27 December 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1151720

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334330

Location: Tickhill, Doncaster, DN11

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Tickhill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Tickhill St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

1. FOLDS LANE
5096 ----------
Folds Cottage


SK 59 SE 9/60 27.12.62


II*

The grade shall be amended to read II and the description shall be amended to read:-

1.
5096 FOLDS LANE
----------
Folds Cottages

SK 59 SE 9/60 13.11.59


II

House now 2 unoccupied cottages with attached outbuildings partly in the parish of
Maltby. 1750 by Mr Platt for Lord Scarborough (Beastall, p83). Ashlar and coursed
rubble magnesian limestone; Westmorland slate Welsh slate and pantile roofs. T-shaped,
2-storey, 3-bay house with 1-storey, 1-bay side pavilions in Palladian style; rear angles of
main range balled by 2-storey outshuts (not of special interest) pavilions linked by walls
to 1-storey, 3-bay outbuildings of c1750 facing onto rear garden. Main house, west front:
plinth, rusticated ground floor. Raised central panel with steps to door beneath flat arch
and modillion cornice. Outer bays have boarded-up windows with voussoirs of flat arches
aligned with courses, window on right is narrower. 1st floor deep band linked to sill
band by plain window aprons; central Ionic Venetian window with moulded sill, pilasters
and pulvinated frieze, windows to outer bays have moulded sills, shouldered architraves,
pulvinated friezes and cornices, Cornice and blocking course to nipped roof Side
pavilions set back, each have: rusticated quoins and square-faced surround with keystone
to semi-domed niche; eaves cornice and blocking course, to nipped roof with ridge stack.
Rear: wing has quoined rubble walling and round-headed window on each floor, eaves
band and cornice; rendered stacks to eaves of main range. Pair of outbuildings to rear left
and rear right attached by coped walls with gateways each have central bay breaking
forward with door and adjoining windows in raised ashlar surrounds, outer bays with
similar doorways, nipped roof Rear-right outbuilding incorporates later brick lean-to (not
of special interest).
Interior: in poor condition at time of resurvey. Central imperial staircase now divided by
partition wall, remains of original wrought- iron handrail. Ground- floor room on left has
crinoidal limestone fireplace with fluted keystone on lintel set beneath a scroll-topped
plaster overmantel, remains of plaster wall panels and or enriched cornice to decorative
ceiling (mostly collapsed) having acanthus motifs. 1st floor: subdivided single room with
fragment of original plain coving. Said to have been built for Lord Scarborough's chaplain
although the staircase and upper room suggest a grander occasional use.
Accounts of John Billam, Estate Steward, note that in 1750 stone was being laid to build
a new house the Folds and that Mr. Platt was paid £50 on account in the same year. Mr.
Platt is no doubt George Platt of Rotherham and this building is of particular interest in
that it predates the involvement ofJames Paine with the Sandbeck estate.
T.W. Beastall, A North Country Estate, 1974.

------------------------------------

FOLDS LANE
1. ----------
5096 Folds Cottage

SK 59 SE 9/60 27.12.62

II*


2.
Mid C18. Built, from its external appearance, as a garden ornament at the
east end of the lake in Sandbeck Park, but, from its internal arrangement,
also intended as a dwelling. Traditionally Lord Scarborough's Chaplain's
house. Ashlar. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Ground floor rusticated.
Moulded cornice. Five bays, centre 3 breaking forward; one-storey side bays
with niches; quoins. Central door, Pilladian window above.
Interior. Ground floor room has afine--Rococo moulded plaster ceiling.


Listing NGR: SK5770890632

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.