This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5664 / 53°33'59"N
Longitude: -1.5892 / 1°35'21"W
OS Eastings: 427302
OS Northings: 407833
OS Grid: SE273078
Mapcode National: GBR KWB6.Q8
Mapcode Global: WHCBJ.KMF8
Entry Name: Jowett Saw Mill
Listing Date: 18 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151804
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334128
Location: Cawthorne, Barnsley, S75
Civil Parish: Cawthorne
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cawthorne All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 20 SE CAWTHORNE BARK HOUSE LANE
3/2 Jowett Saw Mill
House, formerly corn mill and later a saw mill. Early to mid C19, the wheel
installed in 1854, the main part of the building being added in 1858. C20
restoration. Coursed squared stone, pitch-faced to 1858 range which is
rendered at rear and has a brick rear wing. Stone slate roof. Two-storey
early block, the rest single storey with attic and dormers. L-shaped 1858
range with the early block breaking forward at the right end. The early
block: the front has 2 bays of 2-light gothic arched windows. Ornamental
ashlar stack to right end. Round-arched opening at rear into wheel house.
Left gable has a large, low-level doorway with lintel supported on corbels,
with a first floor doorway above.
The 1858 range in Tudor style has rock-faced quoins to corners, bay divisions
and window and door openings. The main range is of 6 bays, numbers 3 and 5
being plain. Nos 2, 4 and 6 are set back slightly. 2-light windows with
round-arched lights to bays 1 and 4. Round-arched door openings to bays 2
and 6, the former now glazed. Excellent square, twisted stacks, with tripled
flues to left, and a single flue to centre. Left return gable has 2 bays of
2-light windows, as front, and a tablet reading in raised letters:
The rear is in a different style with 3 large round-arched openings (now part
blocked) above each of which is a later dormer. The similarly treated wing
(without dormers) projects at left side.
Interior of early block: Inside the left end of the building is the wheel
house with a breast shot wheel approximately 4 metres in diameter and 2
metres wide with cast-iron sides and wooden paddles.
Listing NGR: SE2730207833
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings