This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4536 / 53°27'12"N
Longitude: -1.2698 / 1°16'11"W
OS Eastings: 448587
OS Northings: 395452
OS Grid: SK485954
Mapcode National: GBR MXKH.WP
Mapcode Global: WHDDD.GGK7
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 29 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335953
Location: Ravenfield, Rotherham, S65
Civil Parish: Ravenfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ravenfield St James
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
RAVENFIELD CHURCH LANE
(north end, off)
1/78 Church of St. James
Church. 1756. By John Carr for Mrs. Elizabeth Parkin of Ravenfield Hall
(demolished). Ashlar sandstone, Welsh slate roof. 3-bay single cell with
tower rising above west gable entrance and with apsidal east end. In Gothick
style. West end: plinth. Nosed steps to central part flanked by pilasters
with moulded plinths. Central panelled door in swept-shouldered architrave
beneath consoled cornice; 2-light window over in raised ogee-headed surround
set beneath pediment linking pilasters. Outer bays have corner pilasters and
upswept coping with obelisk finial and scrolled brackets against the tower.
Tower rises over entrance and has corner strips flanking west clock in shaped
panel, ogee-headed 2-light belfry openings have Y-tracery with louvres;
cornice with corner obelisks set round concave base to a ball-finialled
spirelet. Sides of tower have cruciform slits in quatrefoil panels below the
belfry stage. Nave: Y-traceried, 2-light, ogee-headed windows with shaped
sills and raised, chamfered surrounds; cornice and coped parapet with corner
obelisks. Apse: canted projection with east window as nave flanked by
matching blind openings; hipped roof abuts coped east gable.
Interior: 1806 plaque in lobby inscribed 'This Church was erected / by Mrs.
ELIZABETH PARKIN / Lady of this Manor / in the Year 1756'. Staircase to west
gallery with wreathed handrail and turned wooden balusters; fielded panelling
to nave dado, gallery door and gallery balustrade which also have ogee-headed
panels on the uprights; twisted-baluster communion rail. Other fittings of
later date. Apse flanked by plaster reliefs of draped urns in the style of
Carr. Monuments: south wall has flat-obelisk wall monument to Eliz. Parkin
(d1766);C18 and C19 urns to Bosville and 0sborne families share its base.
On north wall: panel by Fisher of York to Thos, Bosville (d1771) et al. has
pelican on sarcophagus; to its right monument to George Westbie (d1685), an
Ionic aedicule with broken segmental pediment. Hatchments and arms of George
III over west gallery.
Listing NGR: SK4858795452
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings