This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3872 / 53°23'14"N
Longitude: -1.2223 / 1°13'20"W
OS Eastings: 451821
OS Northings: 388104
OS Grid: SK518881
Mapcode National: GBR MYX8.5H
Mapcode Global: WHDDT.6463
Entry Name: Old Hall Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding
Listing Date: 1 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151880
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335989
Location: Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Rotherham, S25
Civil Parish: Laughton-en-le-Morthen
Built-Up Area: Laughton en le Morthen
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Laughton-en-le-Morthen and Throapham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/02/2017
SK 58 NW,
HIGH STREET (south side),
Old Hall Farmhouse and attached outbuilding
(Parish previously listed as: Thurcroft)
(formerly listed as The Old Hall)
Manorial farmhouse dated 1633 but of two C17 builds; attached outbuilding
probably of late C16 origin. Some internal timber framing to outbuilding
otherwise rubble magnesian limestone with stone slate and Welsh slate roofs.
Two-storey-and-attic farmhouse with 3:2 windows to 1st floor on entrance front;
attached L-shaped outbuilding to left end of range is of two storeys and three
bays. Farmhouse entrance front: large quoins. Earlier part to right has
doorway on right with old door having patterned and studded boards in a
rusticated ashlar surround. Double-chamfered, mullioned windows: of 2-light
with dripstone to left of door with blocked window beyond truncated by later
outshut having boarded front hatch, double-chamfered window in right return
and end copings. 1st floor: single-light window with dripstone above
outshot, transomed 4-light window on right. Later C17 part on left, angled
back slightly, has quoined central door with cambered lintel flanked on left
by 1-light and 2-light double-chamfered windows with dripstones, similar
windows on right with dripmould and 2-light window with dripstone to far
right. 1st floor: blocked, transomed single-light window on left of two 2-light windows with dripstones. Quoined full dormer above door has 2-light
window beneath band and coped gable. Gable copings to each end of range with
truncated ashlar ridge stacks with cornices-flanking the dormer; smaller end
stack on right. Rear: paired, transomed 2-light windows with dripstones to
ground-floor left, altered ground-floor windows to later range on right.
1st floor: 2 single-light windows and a transomed 3-light window on left;
similar transomed windows of 2 and 3 lights off right. Contemporary windows
to each gable. Outbuilding set back on left of entrance front: large quoins.
Wide doorway on left beneath hatch and with double-chamfered window to its
right; double-chamfered 2-light window to far right; other later door and
window openings. Front roof slope replaced in Welsh slate with hipped end to
left dropping to a lower eaves line. Rear: added porch encloses C17 doorway
with old door having moulded boards; 2-light double-chamfered windows on
left and to 1st floor. Projection on right has gabled inner return with 2-light window beneath dripstone.
Interior: ground-floor room on right of farmhouse has date stone inscribed
1633; stop-chamfered transverse beams. Some contemporary doors and
panelling. Outbuilding: two wall posts remain of a 3-bay timber-framed
building with two principal-rafter trusses, one of which retains original infill;
internal stone steps in left end bay. Cross-wing roof of outbuilding has
similar trusses and wind-braced purlins.
Listing NGR: SK5182188104
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings