This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6415 / 50°38'29"N
Longitude: -2.4944 / 2°29'39"W
OS Eastings: 365134
OS Northings: 82538
OS Grid: SY651825
Mapcode National: GBR PX.5BG3
Mapcode Global: FRA 57NC.XQ8
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1151971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105218
Location: Chickerell, West Dorset, Dorset, DT3
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Chickerell
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Buckland Ripers St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 68 SE CHICKERELL BUCKLAND RIPERS
7/99 Church of St. Nicholas
Former Parish Church, now chapel. C15 or earlier, much reconstructed 1655 after
fire damage. North wall of nave reconstructed C20. (Rubble-stone walls and dressings.
Slate and stone slate roofs). Chancel, Nave, South Porch. Chancel: east window,
two-light, late C19. South wall has a single-light window with square head and label,
originally C17 and of two lights, now with the mullion removed. Nave: north wall
rebuilt, incorporates mid C17 2-light window, north doorway reset, possibly of
medieval origin. South wall, 2 C17 stone-mullioned windows reset, of 2 square-
headed lights with moulded labels and much restored. South doorway, C17, with
chamfered jambs, segmented head and triangular rere-arch. South Porch, east wall
rebuilt since C17. Entrance arch has chamfered jambs and segmental head, and is
dated 1655. West wall, west window is of c.1500, and has two cinquefoiled lights
and sunk spandrels in a square head with a moulded label with square-return stops
with foliated centres. Bellcote is C17 and has two plain segmental-headed
openings under a gable. The roofs are late C19. Interior: Chancel-arch, date of
1655 reconstruction, but widened subsequently to nearly full width of nave; now of
elliptical form of 2 orders, with a keystone inscribed IP LW GC and extending into
a shaped pendant; outer hollow-chamfered order is continuous, the chamfered inner
order springs from semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Font: octagonal
stone bowl with plain sides and chamfered under edge on a stop-chamfered square
pedestal and round base, medieval.
(RCHM Dorset II, p39 (2)).
Listing NGR: SY6513482538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings