This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7125 / 51°42'44"N
Longitude: -1.8919 / 1°53'30"W
OS Eastings: 407565
OS Northings: 201533
OS Grid: SP075015
Mapcode National: GBR 3R1.NHD
Mapcode Global: VHB2S.5751
Entry Name: Group of Seven Monuments Mostly to Howse and Wise, About 1 to 7 Metres South of South East Nave Window in Churchyard of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129799
Location: Ampney St. Mary, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Ampney St. Mary
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Ampney St Peter with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 00 SE AMPNEY ST. MARY A417
(off south side)
5/58 Group of seven Monuments mostly to
Howse and Wise, about 1-7m south of
south-east nave window in church-
yard of Church of St. Mary
Group of 7 chest tombs, including head and footstones attached to
unidentified pair of monuments. Nearest porch from south to
north: Howse family, earliest decipherable inscription 1784;
Richard Howse, died 1767; Howse family, earliest decipherable
1731; unidentified, probably Howse family, 1763. Further from
porch from south to north: Wise family, earliest decipherable
inscription, 1780; unidentified pair, probably Wise family, early
C18. All limestone. All with moulded plinth and capping except
for unidentified pair. Three Howse monuments have single step
tent top and 2 have lyre ends with side panels divided into 2.
All have fielded panels, and all beginning to break up at time of
survey (August 1985). Wise monument has stepped tent top with
rounded top moulding, fielded south panel and rest recessed.
Unidentified pair are set immediately adjoining and have slab top
and sides, with plain footstones and carved headstones with cherub
head and cartouche for inscription on west side.
Listing NGR: SP0756501534
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings