This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6315 / 52°37'53"N
Longitude: 0.9762 / 0°58'34"E
OS Eastings: 601508
OS Northings: 307909
OS Grid: TG015079
Mapcode National: GBR SCC.1LP
Mapcode Global: WHLSB.Z30Y
Entry Name: Old Hall
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220891
Location: Whinburgh and Westfield, Breckland, Norfolk, NR9
Civil Parish: Whinburgh and Westfield
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Whinburgh with Westfield
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
WHINBURGH DEREHAM ROAD
TG 00 NW
4.12.51 Old Hall
Former farmhouse. Circa 1600 and later. Brick ground floor (re-faced
with brick in C19) with timber framed upper floor. Through-passage plan.
2 storeys with attic. Off-centre C17 gabled porch with a pedimented
arched entrance and blocked window above. Very fine fielded board door
with studs and loop handle. 4-centred arched frame with carved spandrels.
3 ground floor windows, the central one formerly of 5 lights with roll-
moulded and hollow chamfered mullions and transom. (2 mullions have been
removed in order to insert casements). Similar north window of 2 lights
without a transom. South window, a 3-light, ovolo-moulded, Victorian
imitation. 3 imitative late C20 3-light casement windows to first floor.
Roll-moulded bressumer. Some original brickwork visible on south gable-
end. Stepped gables with late C20 cast cement crow steps. Rear door
with cover strips and studs and moulded frame. Off-centre axial stack
with 4 octagonal shafts. Later north gable-end stack with a single C19
octagonal shaft. Later additions to side and rear. Interior. Hall with
deep mouldings to bridging joist, common joists and cornice. Original
fireplace to first floor with a 4-centred arch and incised stucco
decoration. Reduced to take a fine late C18 duck's nest grate. Several
original doorways with 4-centred arches - their spandrels emphasised by
inverted fielding. 2 principal first floor rooms were originally open
to an exceptional crown post roof of 7 bays, the short crown posts rising
from cambered collars. Solid arch braces to collar purlin only and a
set of butt-purlins. Solar originally to northern end only. Moated site.
Listing NGR: TG0150807909
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings