This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6232 / 50°37'23"N
Longitude: -2.519 / 2°31'8"W
OS Eastings: 363383
OS Northings: 80521
OS Grid: SY633805
Mapcode National: GBR PW.MHT5
Mapcode Global: FRA 57MF.6GP
Entry Name: Parish Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105234
Location: Fleet, West Dorset, Dorset, DT3
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Fleet
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Fleet Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 68 SW FLEET EAST FLEET
6/115 Parish Church of
26.1.56 The Holy Trinity
Parish Church. 1827-9, by Strickland, at the expense of George Gould, Vicar.
Ashlar stone walls, slate roofs. West Tower, Nave, Chancel, polygonal sanctuary.
West Tower, 3 stages divided by strings. Diagonal buttresses and crenellated
parapet, pinnacles with pagoda finials. West doorway with moulded jambs and
pointed arch. Label with square stops. 2-leaf studded door with blind tracery
heads. 2-light mullion window above with cinquefoil cusping, label with mitre-
stops. Bell-openings: single light with trefoil-cusped head and stone tracery.
Label over with depressed-arch head. Nave, of 3 bays, 2-light windows in a pointed-
arch head with panel tracery. Returned labels over. East window has a wide
pointed arch window, and a label with vine-stops. Bay divisions buttressed, and
diagonal buttressing at corners. Interior: roof of low pitch, with 32 panels
cinque-foil-cusped, with a trilobe leaf in the spandrels. Wide chancel-arch with
one respond order, with capitals and moulded abaci. Label with square stops.
Chancel has recesses in the east, north and south walls, with arched heads springing
from slender attached shafts , the plaster soffits contain cusped panelling. From
the forward shafts spring the ribs of the vaulted plaster roof,rib vaults and
soffited panels with quatrefoils. East window, stained glass, grey grisaille in
quatrefoils. Resurrection of Christ at centre. Large white marble wall-tablet,
on right-hand side of chancel. To John Gould Esq., of Upway and of Fleet House,
died 26 August 1818, aged 43, monument erected by his brother. Three figures, in
Neo-Classical style, carved in high relief and grouped round an urn, with shield-
of-arms in the foreground and inscription - tablet below. Font, C19, stone bowl
with intersecting arching and arcaded base.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.109 (2)).
Listing NGR: SY6338480520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings