This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9064 / 50°54'22"N
Longitude: -2.4289 / 2°25'43"W
OS Eastings: 369940
OS Northings: 111967
OS Grid: ST699119
Mapcode National: GBR MY.RBF6
Mapcode Global: FRA 56SQ.5JR
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 21 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152109
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104854
Location: Holwell, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Holwell
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Holwell St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 61 SE HOLWELL THE BOROUGH
2/124 Church of St Lawrence
Parish Church, late C15 with chancel, organ chamber and restoration of
1885. 1885 work by Crickmay, Coursed rubble, ashlar dressings. Gable-
ended stone slate roofs with stone copings. Plan: nave, chancel, north
aisle, south porch, south chapel and south organ chamber. West tower;
3 stages, plinth and embattled parapet; string courses, parapet string
with gargoyles; south rectangular vice turret with loops; diagonal west
buttress and square set east buttress; west door with moulded 2-centred
head, continuous jambs and returned label; west window of 2-lights under
2-centred head with perpendicular tracery and string course continued
as a label; bell chamber windows with 2-centred heads, mullions and
transomes, of 2-lights with returned labels; crocketted corner finials
North aisle and south chapel: embattled with strings bearing gargoyles;
main windows of 3-lights under 2-centred heads with 'perpendicular'
tracery and stopped labels; north aisle west window of 3-lights and
intersecting tracery under a 2-centred heads; north aisle east window
is of 2-lights under square head with returned label; organ chamber
window of 2-lights under a square head with a returned label. Chancel
windows; east of 3-lights with 'perpendicular' tracery under a 2-centred
head with a returned label; north windows of 2-lights under square heads
with returned labels. Buttresses between most wimdows and at angles.
Porch door with 2-centred moulded head with continuous jambs and stopped
label. Interior features: 2-centred, moulded chancel, tower and chapel
arches with outer orders continuous with jambs and inner order forming
respond shaft; Similar Cl9 arch to organ chamber; 4 bay, 2-centred nave
arcade having restored late C15 carved angel capitals bearing scrolls;
squints to chancel; late Cl7 pulpit with reeded lower panels and fret-
work above; piscina in north aisle; Cl5 barrel vault nave roof with
ribs and carved bosses springing from chamfered wall plates bearing 3
orders of carved leaf bosses; original flat north aisle roof with
intersecting moulded beams forming coffers each of which is subdivided
into 4 panels, the beam intersections bearing carved flower bosses; Cl9
ribbed barrel vault to chancel; OS plank south and tower vice doors;
monuments oftthe Cl8, Cl9 and C20; some Cl8 panelling; various pieces of
medieval carving reset.
RCHM, Dorset, vol III, pp 118-121, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner, N.
The Buildings of England: Dorset. Penguin, 1972, p 233.
Listing NGR: ST6994211966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings