History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary (Rc) and Gates, Gate Piers and Railings to Churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0495 / 52°2'58"N

Longitude: -1.7847 / 1°47'5"W

OS Eastings: 414858

OS Northings: 239030

OS Grid: SP148390

Mapcode National: GBR 4NF.KL1

Mapcode Global: VHB13.0RV7

Entry Name: Church of St Mary (Rc) and Gates, Gate Piers and Railings to Churchyard

Listing Date: 8 June 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152145

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126244

Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Chipping Campden

Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chipping Campden

Listing Text

1.
5224 LOWER HIGH STREET
(north-west side)

Church of St Mary (RC)
and gates, gate piers
and railings to
churchyard
SP 1439 SE 9/184

II GV


2.
1891 in a Perp. style by W Lunn of Malvern. Cut and dressed rubble with Cotswold
stone roof. Aisled cruciform plan with small saddleback bell tower in north-west
angle of south transept. Stepped buttresses. Moulded copings. Four clerestory
windows and aisle west windows with traceried transoms. Other windows more
conventional Perpendicular style. Complex 5 light west window with low transoms,
stilted label over 4 centre arch headed doorway with carvings within hollow-
chamfered inner order and decorative iron-work to door. In gable a tripartite
heavily traceried niche with statute of Virgin with crocketted canopy over. Belfry
stage of tower has another variety of tracery to flat headed openings. Circular
chimney to south of chancel.
Interior: 4 bay aisled nave with narrow chapels in east ends of aisles. Chancel
arch with 3 heavy ribs on corbels to soffit. Rere-arches and inner windows.
Contemporary screens to transepts. Altar-railing and possibly reredos, also
contemporary. Window in south transept by Paul Woodroffe 1909. Churchyard
enclosed to south and west by cast-iron railings with fleur-de-lys stanchions on
dwarf rubble walls; ashlar gate piers to west with crested capping and wrought-
iron gates.


Listing NGR: SP1486039027

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.