This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.786 / 51°47'9"N
Longitude: -2.1937 / 2°11'37"W
OS Eastings: 386734
OS Northings: 209726
OS Grid: SO867097
Mapcode National: GBR 1M0.XX8
Mapcode Global: VH94R.XCMN
Entry Name: The Gables
Listing Date: 21 October 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152180
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133259
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Built-Up Area: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/04/2016
SO 8609/8709 (part)
FRIDAY STREET (north west side)
House. C16 and C17, but remnants of earlier roof possibly to a hall house. Coursed and squared limestone, stone slate roof. Set in corner, the house may originally have extended further left into what is now the Old Inn (q.v.) in George Court. Through passage plan, but difficult to read overall. Two storeys and attics, 2 coped gables, that to left has single light over 3-light over 4-light over 3-light, all ovolo-mould stone mullions and to stopped hoods, but gable lights have drip-mould full width; a further continuous drip-mould under the first floor window in right half. Central arched opening to plank and fillet door with keystone to arch. Two stone stacks, roofs at differing levels. Back has central C17 plank and nail-head door and two gables, that to right with fenestration as front: Interior: dining room with heavy chamfer beams. Sitting room large square fire opening of C16 with moulded stopped surround, and built in to what is now the party wall, a deep moulded C16 transverse beam; ceiling joists are chamfered stopped. One upper room has further C16 square fire opening with moulded mantel shelf and geometrical drops with lozenges; decorative shallow relief plaster ceiling. Small blocked light facing north-east. C16 plaster ceilings surviving at first floor level, revealed following the removal of C20 partitions. Roof retains most of early timber, including two pairs of heavy arch-braced principals, one of which may have been to open hall; arch braces chamfered. An important survival in the town centre.
Listing NGR: SO8673409726
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings