This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6087 / 50°36'31"N
Longitude: -1.9629 / 1°57'46"W
OS Eastings: 402723
OS Northings: 78776
OS Grid: SZ027787
Mapcode National: GBR 459.NLH
Mapcode Global: FRA 67SG.F3D
Entry Name: Parish Church
Listing Date: 26 June 1952
Last Amended: 21 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108161
Location: Swanage, Purbeck, Dorset, BH19
Civil Parish: Swanage
Built-Up Area: Swanage
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Swanage St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
SZ 0278 NE 5/35 26.6.52 (formerly listed as Church of
The tower is medieval. The rest of the Church was rebuilt by T H Wyatt in 1859-60 and
enlarged in 1906-8 by Clifton and Robinson (Pevsner). Purbeck Stone walls and roofs.
In plan, the Church has nave, north aisle of 2 bays, transepts, chancel, organ chamber
at east end of north aisle, south porch and west tower. There are galleries in the
transepts. The 3 lower stages of the tower are of the C14, and the top stage c 1620.
It is a plain structure, unbuttressed with small plain windows and a parapet without
battlements. The roof is lead covered. The body of the Church is in a Gothic Revival
style. The nave and aisle have separate gabled roofs, with a central valley gutter.
The main entrance is at the west end of the aisle and has a shallow portico with a
doorway in Early English style. Above this is a large window with Perpendicular
tracery. The nave and aisle window are of similar design. There are rose windows in
the organ chamber and transept sables. An octagonal turret with stone spire adjoins
the north transept. Internally, the walls are plastered. The roofs are of pine, of
arch-braced collar-beam design. A number of C18 wall monument survive from the earlier
Church. C19 marble font. The churchyard is below the level of the adjoining ground to
the south. Purbeck Stone retaining wall to boundary, with iron railings and gates.
RCHM Monument 1.
Listing NGR: SZ0272378776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings