History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mantley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Newent, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9328 / 51°55'58"N

Longitude: -2.416 / 2°24'57"W

OS Eastings: 371496

OS Northings: 226112

OS Grid: SO714261

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.NH9Z

Mapcode Global: VH93W.2PM5

Entry Name: Mantley House

Listing Date: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 125706

Location: Newent, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL18

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Newent

Built-Up Area: Newent

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Newent St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Newent

Listing Text

SO 72 NW NEWENT ROSS ROAD
(north side)

3/170 Mantley House

GV II


Farmhouse: 1761, 1776 (datestones). Flemish-bond brickwork,
rusticated quoins to front (1776), random rubble sides and back,
larger stone quoins: 1761 wing similar stone; tiled roofs. L-
plan, each wing 3 windows wide, 1 room deep, stair turret on rear
main part; 2 storeys and attics. Main block, entrance front,
stone plinth: front door left of centre, 6-panel, top 2 glazed,
rest fielded, flat head, V-jointed stone voussoirs, horizontal
kneeler each end, flat, projecting hood. To left 3-light mullion
and transom window, stone sill, cambered stone voussoirs over,
higher keystone, horizontal kneelers each end. To right similar
window, position second covered by a C20 conservatory. First
floor 3 similar windows, datestone over front door. Brick-on-edge
dentil eaves: hipped roof. Three gabled dormers, 2-light
casement windows. Left return stone base to brick chimney,
carries sundial, dated 1777, restored 1894. Similar chimney on
ridge between second and third windows. Right return, first part
covered by conservatory to both floors: to right two 2-light
casement windows, flat head, no lintel: between double boarded
door. Above 2 similar windows. Right return atone steps up to
door: 3-light casement above, datestone in top of gable. Brick
chimney on ridge, house end of wing. Angle between 2 wings behind
filled by lower building. Interior not inspected. Forms
unusually complete group with contemporary or older farm buildings
(q.v.).


Listing NGR: SO7149626112

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.