This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9505 / 50°57'1"N
Longitude: -2.518 / 2°31'4"W
OS Eastings: 363711
OS Northings: 116912
OS Grid: ST637169
Mapcode National: GBR MT.NKVH
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.LVC
Entry Name: The Green
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Last Amended: 4 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152275
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103956
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(Formerly listed under
ST 6316 1/114 28.11.50.
Formerly The Angel Inn. The building partly closes the vista at the top
of Greenhill. Since 1865 a "House" belonging to Sherborne School. It consists
of attached buildings of various dates, but the only part of architectural
interest is the front facing west. This appears to be C18 with alterations.
It is a 5 window stucco front. 2 storeys basement and attics. Slate roof
with gable-ends and stone parapet coping, 2 dormers. Projecting Tuscan
porch with flight of entrance steps. Round-headed doorway with fanlight;
the inscription "Licensed to let post horses" written in frieze of entablature.
The upper storey of the porch is a square bay having sash windows with
moulded pilaster strips between them. Blind boxes to windows, cornice
to head of bay. Other windows are C18 sashes, those to ls.L floor having
shutters. At left hand side of ground floor there is a splayed bay with
The listed buildings on the North Side of The Green (with The Cottage adjoining
The Green) form a group.
Listing NGR: ST6371416864
Other nearby listed buildings