This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5829 / 52°34'58"N
Longitude: 0.8019 / 0°48'6"E
OS Eastings: 589925
OS Northings: 302031
OS Grid: TF899020
Mapcode National: GBR RBC.5JR
Mapcode Global: WHKRB.9B3Q
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 23 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221048
Location: Saham Toney, Breckland, Norfolk, IP25
Civil Parish: Saham Toney
Built-Up Area: Saham Toney
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Saham Toney St George
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
SAHAM TONEY RICHMOND ROAD
TF 80 SE
10/51 Church of St George
Parish church. 13th and 14th century with 15th century west tower; chancel restored
by J C Buckler 1864. Flint with limestone dressings. Nave roof pantiled, chancel
slated, porch and aisle roofs lead-covered. West tower, nave chancel, north and
south aisles, south porch. 15th century west tower with diagonal staged buttresses.
Plinth incorporate decorative stone panels with 'M' and 'G' motifs. Square traceried
sound holes and large 3-light bell openings with Perpendicular tracery. Polygonal
stair turret at north east corner. West door with spandrels depicting St George
slaying the dragon. 4-light early Perpendicular window above west door. Embattled
parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles, 19th century. Single lancet in west wall
of south aisle, early 13th century. South porch much restored, two storeys. 2-
light window with Perpendicular tracery above entrance. Swept gable parapet with
cross-finial. Angle buttresses with cusped niches. South aisle has two 13th century
windows with plate tracery and two 3-Light Perpendicular windows; central staged
buttress. Eaves parapet with roll-moulded coping. 3-light Perpendicular east window
to south aisle. Nave clearstorey of four bays, with 2-Light 14th century windows
with cusped 'Y' tracery. Two of the north side clearstorey windows have plate
tracery. Small 2-light Decorated window with low-side window below in south chancel
wall. Good Transitional priests door with chamfered pointed arch of two orders
and attached shafts with Romanesque capitals. Chancel windows generally 19th century
restorations in Perpendicular style. Parapeted east gable with staged buttresses
with ogee-headed caps replacing 19th century pinnacles by Buckler. Small parapeted
vestry on north side of chancel with octagonal stone chimney stack at north-east
corner. Square headed 2-light windows. North aisle east window 3-light Decorated
with restored head. Curved rood stair projection in angle. North aisle has two
3-light windows with reticulated tracery. North doorway partly blocked with glazed
Interior: 13th century north and south arcades of five bays: circular piers and
abaci, double hollow-chamfered arches. Hood mould with stiff-leaf stops. Tall
tower arch. 14th century chancel arch; 15th century square headed screen with one-
light divisions with Qgee heads. Rood stair on north side of chancel arch. Flat
plastered ceiling over nave with arch-braces and tie beams encased and plastered.
Coving with decorative bosses above clearstorey. Elaborate 19th century chancel
roof with cusped arch braces to purlin and ridge; arch-braced collars. 15th century
piscina on south wall of chancel with a copy or retored version on the north wall.
Dropp-cill sedilia. 15th century octagonal font with fine cover, dated 1632, also
octagonal with unfluted Ionic columns supporting an ogee dome with a pelican finial.
Some benches with poppyhead ends and animal carvings on arm rests.
Listing NGR: TF8992502031
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings