This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0041 / 52°0'14"N
Longitude: -1.816 / 1°48'57"W
OS Eastings: 412727
OS Northings: 233982
OS Grid: SP127339
Mapcode National: GBR 4NZ.9PJ
Mapcode Global: VHB18.GWTH
Entry Name: Spring Hill House
Listing Date: 8 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152405
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126273
Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Chipping Campden
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Broadway
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
5224 SPRING HILL
Spring Hill House
SP 13 SW 5/239
Circa 1757 for John Bulkeley-Coventry-Bulkeley; 1763 Capability Brown employed
(for park presumably, although the house has been attributed to him by Dorothy Stroud)
Bought 1830 by General Lygon who added wings and porch and laid out estate to
resemble the field of Waterloo. Remodelled late C19 in "Wren-naissance" style.
Now a large courtyard plan country house with domestic range to east and stable
range to west linked across north side by a coach house with cupola. The front
terrace is an enormous rockery-cum-grotto (qv).
Garden front: Symmetrical 2 storey composition on a terrace. Ashlar with hipped
slate roofs (stone tile to rear and courtyard wings). Central 5 bay section with
central pedimented break over half oval portico and 2 bay set backs to sides with
pedimented end bays in slight breaks. Band over ground floor. Sash windows with
keystones and shutters; glazing bars to first floor only. Tripartite central
first floor window with bracket cornice. Tuscan portico, with balustraded parapet,
half-glazed doors and sidelights. Projecting single storey bays in angles of see
back wings, also with balustraded parapets. Side wings have mullion and transom
windows, 3 light to end bays and projecting bays.
North front: 1½ storeys rubble, balanced composition with central coach house with
cupola, and stables to left and domestic quarters to right. Three bay taller
central pavilion with 3 large archways, centre to courtyard, flanking coach houses;
central gabled half-dormer; modillion eaves cornice; hipped roof. Left part has
wooden mullion windows and leaded glazing; right part has glazing bar sashes.
East (stable) return has wood mullion windows and retains loose boxes. West
(domestic) return has ½ dormers and evidence of earlier C18 structure (probably a
farmhouse converted to present use when big house constructed and remodelled again
in late C19).
Sources: P Miller "Chipping Campden".
D Stroud "Capability Brown" (she attributes the house to Brown, for
Listing NGR: SP1272733982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings