History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vale, Bodnum and Harris Monuments, About 15-20m South-East of South Porch in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Arlingham, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7937 / 51°47'37"N

Longitude: -2.4267 / 2°25'36"W

OS Eastings: 370668

OS Northings: 210644

OS Grid: SO706106

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.Y0PX

Mapcode Global: VH875.W5GS

Entry Name: Vale, Bodnum and Harris Monuments, About 15-20m South-East of South Porch in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 9 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132274

Location: Arlingham, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Arlingham

Built-Up Area: Arlingham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Arlingham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Newnham

Listing Text

ARLINGHAM CHURCH ROAD
SO 71 SW
(west side)
2/16 Vale, Bodnum and Harris Monuments,
about 15-20m south-east of
south porch in churchyard of
Church of St. Mary
GV II
Three pedestal tombs. From north to south: Joseph Vale 1787;
William Bodnum 1809; William Harris 1817. Forest limestone. Vale
and Bodnum are set together on a large base, formerly railed,
partially overgrown and breaking up at time of survey (November
1985). Vale - stepped cap with gadrooned top and acorn finial,
incised edge to flat top, tall moulded plinth, half-round ends.
Reeded frieze with centre rosettes, sides have raised ovals and
palm leaves, west end has wrapped raised oval, east end has high
relief of weeping draped putto under a tree next to a tomb with
urn. Partially overgrown. Bodnum - square, curved pyramidal cap
with reeded urn finial on flat top supported at corners by reeded
columns, broken to south west. Plain plinth, plain sides and ends
with incised headstone shape. Harris (slightly to south east) -
curved pyramidal cap with plain finial on flat top with incised
edge, tall moulded plinth on base which is breaking up. Indented
ends with fluted frieze and rosette and twisted astragal. Ribbon
and plain oval to east, oval with palm leaves to west and larger to
sides.


Listing NGR: SO7066810644

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.