History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shouldham Thorpe, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6444 / 52°38'39"N

Longitude: 0.4539 / 0°27'13"E

OS Eastings: 566117

OS Northings: 308009

OS Grid: TF661080

Mapcode National: GBR P6H.7KL

Mapcode Global: WHJPM.YS9M

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 8 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152535

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221344

Location: Shouldham Thorpe, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Shouldham Thorpe

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Shouldham Thorpe

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Shouldham Thorpe

Listing Text

TF 60 NE SHOULDHAM THORPE CHURCH LANE

9/12 Church of St. Mary
8.7.59 The Virgin

- II*

Parish church. Early C12, rebuilt entirely 1858. Carstone with ashlar
quoins and slate roof. Nave and chancel. Norman west door relocated from
north when west tower fell 1732. 2 orders octagonal shafts with herringbone
or chevron decoration support scalloped cushion capitals and incised square
imposts. Multiple arch of zig-zag. 2-light west window above in Decorated
style. Double bell-cote at apex. 2 south nave windows also 1858 but in
chancel south 2 lancets of C13. 3-light east window. Vestry lean-to against
north chancel wall, one Decorated window to right and 2 north nave windows,
all C19. Interior. Nave roof of collars supported by arched braces to
wall posts on corbels. Collar spandrels with open-work trefoils. Barrel
braces to chancel roof. Lancets in chancel south wall have stilted rere-
arches. C15 octagonal font with tracery panels to bowl and stem. Wall
monument in nave to Jane, Anne and John Stouarde 1602 : stone and painted
plaster. Central panel with 3 kneeling figures flanked by Tuscan engaged
columns above inscription tablet. Moulded cornice below strapwork overthrow
containing painted coat of arms. 3 further arms right, left and at apex.
Wall tablet in chancel to Thomas Buttes 1600 : grey marble tablet with
inscription plate at bottom, coat of arms top right and to left incised
alabaster plaque depicting deceased kneeling before reading table in Flemish
manner.


Listing NGR: TF6611708009

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.