This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9123 / 50°54'44"N
Longitude: -3.8687 / 3°52'7"W
OS Eastings: 268726
OS Northings: 114196
OS Grid: SS687141
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.QZQ8
Mapcode Global: FRA 26SP.NMS
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152666
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97254
Location: Chulmleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX18
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Chulmleigh
Built-Up Area: Chulmleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chulmleigh St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CHULMLEIGH FORE STREET, (west side),
SS 6814 - 6914
7/76 The Town Hall
Town hall. 1846, altered in 1894. Rendered front gable end, otherwise unrendered
stone rubble with brick dressings. Slate roof with bracketted front gable end.
Plan: long, narrow rectangular plan, built gable end to street, the front and right
side formerly open at ground floor level, the arched openings infilled in late C19.
Central staircase with access from middle bay on right side.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Front gable end of 2 bays, with rusticated quoins and ground
floor below plat-band. Semi-circular arched windows to ground floor with vermiculated
keystones. Cambered arched windows to upper storey with rendered stone reveals and
aprons. Blind oculus to gable containing 1894 date. Right side of 7 bays of
infilled semi-circular brick arched openings to ground floor, with weathered
keystones, and semi-circular headed door of 2 panelled leaves to central bay. Upper
storey openings similar to front gable end with cambered arches and principally 16
paned hornless sashes, the 2nd bay from the right end is blocked, and second bay from
left end has larger opening with 24 paned sash.
In circa 1900 the arcades were enclosed and The Town Hall converted into a basket-
making workshop to provide labour for the poor of the town at the instigation of the
vicar of Chulmleigh, Rev. Marsden Gibson.
Listing NGR: SS6872614196
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings