History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Methodist Church and Hall Immediately East and Boundary Walls to West and North

A Grade II Listed Building in Swanage, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6079 / 50°36'28"N

Longitude: -1.961 / 1°57'39"W

OS Eastings: 402858

OS Northings: 78687

OS Grid: SZ028786

Mapcode National: GBR 459.WJX

Mapcode Global: FRA 67SG.FVS

Entry Name: The Methodist Church and Hall Immediately East and Boundary Walls to West and North

Listing Date: 21 March 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152670

English Heritage Legacy ID: 108219

Location: Swanage, Purbeck, Dorset, BH19

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck

Civil Parish: Swanage

Built-Up Area: Swanage

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Swanage St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Swanage

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
5190 (south side)
The Methodist Church and Hall
immediately East and boundary
walls to West and North
SZ 0278 NE 5/93
GV
II

2.
Built 1886. Architects Bucknell and Jennings. An imposing building in Purbeck Stone,
with a slate roof, the main north front being in a Flamboyant Gothic style. This
front has a central entrance door with a flattened ogee arch, approached by a flight
of stone steps. Above this is a large "west " window with flowing tracery. Above
this again, in the gable, is a circular window. The gable parapet is finished with
crockets and pinnacles. East of the entrance is a square tower with octagonal upper
storeys and spire, rising from behind an ornamental parapet with pinnacles. The other
windows in the main north front are single or paired lights with elliptical heads and
hood moulds. Windows in the side elevation are plain lancets. The adjoining Hall and
Sunday School, built in 1907, is similar in style and materials to the Church. The
buildings are set back from the street in a forecourt, bounded by Purbeck Stone walls,
with stone gate piers and simple iron gates. An important building in the street.
Set in the boundary wall is a stone inscribed "Built 1807, enlarged 1842". This
presumably refers to an earlier Church on the site.


Listing NGR: SZ0285878687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.