History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in North Creake, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9048 / 52°54'17"N

Longitude: 0.7571 / 0°45'25"E

OS Eastings: 585516

OS Northings: 337708

OS Grid: TF855377

Mapcode National: GBR R68.S8C

Mapcode Global: WHKPR.L7QZ

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 18 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152693

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221571

Location: North Creake, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, NR21

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: North Creake

Built-Up Area: North Creake

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Creake North St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
North Creake

Listing Text

TF 83 NE NORTH CREAKE CHURCH STREET (east)

5/39 No 81
(Old Rectory)

II -

Former Rectory house. 1845 by S. S. Teulon, architect, for the Hon. the Rev.
Thomas Robert Keppel, incumbent 1844-1863. Red brick with gault brick dressings
slate roofs. Picturesque domestic Gothic with Tudor details, not yet in
characteristic style of Teulon's High Victorian maturity. 2 storey with attics.
Multi-gabled facades of complex opposed axis, main east-west axis of entrance
gable wing crossed by double depth roofed north-south axis of reception rooms.
Single bay entrance gable to west has off-centre porch with arched entrance,
semi-octagonal angle piers with crowning pedestals, gabled parapet with central
finial. 3 light traceried glazed inner door, 3 light cast iron casements to
north and south returns with close set glazing bars. 2 flanking rectangular
casements. First floor has rectangular gault brick 3 light oriel with
bracketted corbelled base and cornice, inscription "Anno Domini1845". 2 light
attic gable casement. Gault brick quoins, kneelers and gable tumbling, coped
parapet and bracketted out 2 shaft apex stack with moulded coping. North and
south returns have single rectangular headed casements to ground and first
floor. Bay to north of entrance front has one ground and one first floor 2
light casement, one eaves level gabled 2 light semi-dormer. North return has
eaves stack with 3 shafts. South bay of entrance front has external stack
with single ground and first floor plate glass sashes incorporated in external
chimney breast, battered base and 2 semi-octagonal stacks, gault brick
dressings. South front west gable has 2 storey shallow rectangular gault brick
bow with one 3 light ground and one 2 light first floor casements. Coped gable
has apex finial with metal pennant with architect's initials SST. South front
east bay has ground floor 3 sided canted bay with 3 casement cross windows,
battlemented parapet, one first floor 3 light casement semi-dormer. North
front has on entrance axis one ground floor shallow bow with one 4 light and
one attic gable 2 light casement, coped gable with central finial. Bay to
south east has external chimney breast with 3 shaft stack. Roof of entrance
axis wing has central wooden octagonal lantern with tracery and tinted glass
rising to central spire and finial. To north a gabled 2 storey kitchen wing
with west gable elaborate gault brick dressed external breast supporting Gothic
arched apex bellcote with battered head, pedestal with weather vane with
patron's initials TRK (Thomas Robert Keppel). Porch with crow-stepped gable
parapet at north. Single storey wing attached at north connects at right angles
with 2 storey cottages with one ground and one first floor 4 light casement,
coped parapets and gable end stacks. At north 3 bay stable range with central
gabled semi-dormer loft door. At right angles to west 3 bay carriage range,
all with coped parapet gables. Interior: Staircase and ground floor hall
later C19 replacement in Jacobethan classical style, rectangular landing well
open to lantern. Room at south-west with Sylvester patent grate. Late C19
Barnard Bishop and Barnard of Norwich grates with Japanese motifs. Scale and
lavishness of house explained by wealth of the incumbent, youngest son of
4th Earl of Ablemarle, and status of living, the richest in the Diocese of
Norwich.


Listing NGR: TF8551637708

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.