History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Taynton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8973 / 51°53'50"N

Longitude: -2.3832 / 2°22'59"W

OS Eastings: 373726

OS Northings: 222147

OS Grid: SO737221

Mapcode National: GBR 0J8.48V

Mapcode Global: VH942.MKYX

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 2 October 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152696

English Heritage Legacy ID: 125760

Location: Taynton, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Taynton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Taynton St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Newent

Listing Text

SO 72 SW TAYNTON -


7/224 Church of St. Lawrence

2.10.54

GV II*


Parish church; 1650 for T. Pury, altered 1825, 1864 by T.
Fulljames, 1893 (foundation stone to chancel). Random rubble
walls, larger stone quoins, ashlar windows; chancel rock-faced
squared stone, irregular-height courses, ashlar dressings: tiled
roofs. Four-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, north porch, organ chamber;
church oriented north/south. Gable to road: single-storey gabled
porch, double doors, 2 fielded panels each, flat stone lintel,
headstone against gable each side, weathered on left, Esther
Morris, died 1765 on right. Sunken square with quatrefoil above
door, parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. Slit window each return.
1694 headstone against gable on left. Three-light mullion window
above porch, trefoil heads to each light, under segmental arch,
hoodmould, and relieving arch. Parapet gable, ashlar bellcote at
apex with iron weathervane, 1660 in tail. Left, east side:
blocked door on right, to left three 3-light mullioned windows,
trefoil heads each light, flat head, with hoodmould and stone
voussoirs above. Cross gablet apex to parapet gable on left.
Chancel slightly set back, two 2-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery and hoodmoulds, buttress between, and diagonally-set on
corner. Parapet gable with cross-gablet apex and stone cross.
Interior: some memorial slabs in nave floor, including Robert
Pury, died 1662, son of Thomas Pury who built the church. Dado
panelling to nave: double doors, 2 panel each to porch, horizontal
boarding on back. Heavy frame: either side a wooden Corinthian
pilaster, lettering in Hebrew painted on frieze, above square panel
with scrolls each side and ornamental top. Three tie beams across
nave, scissor braced collar rafter roof, with ghost of collar
purlin. Chancel: linen fold panels in late C19 frame form dado
panelling behind communion table. Pulpit C17, semi-octagonal,
ornamental timber panels, gadrooned cornice, wrought-iron
candelholder, said to have come from Holy Trinity Church,
Gloucester; on stone base. Font: circular bowl with alternate
cherubs' heads and acanthus leaves, fluted stem, on square base, up
2 stone steps. Some good C18 or early C19 monuments, especially
Holder monument by pulpit. Benefactions boards on north wall and
in porch, last a stone tablet. Medieval church on different site,
burnt 1643 in a Civil War skirmish. New church, a single-cell
building forming the present nave, was built by order of Parliament
in 1650 for Presbyterian worship. In 1825 a schoolroom was added
to the south, a gallery and porch. In 1864 the plaster ceiling
was removed, and the windows replaced: the wooden steeple was
replaced by a stone bellcote in 1875, and the chancel and organ
chamber built in 1893-94, replacing the schoolroom: the gallery
was removed at the same time. A vestry in the angle between
chancel and organ was apparently intended, but not built. Nave
roof is older than the church, and may be from Holy Trinity,
Gloucester, like the pulpit. Surround to north door appears to be
the former reredos. Thomas Pury who built church lived at The
Grove and is buried in the churchyard (q.v.). A rare church built
in Commonwealth period. (Bigland's Collection for the County of
Gloucester, III, 1889; Morris's Gloucestershire Directory, 1876;
Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory, 1897; D.Verey, Gloucestershire,
The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)


Listing NGR: SO7372622147

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.