History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stokesby with Herringby, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6381 / 52°38'17"N

Longitude: 1.5988 / 1°35'55"E

OS Eastings: 643592

OS Northings: 310568

OS Grid: TG435105

Mapcode National: GBR YQ6.P14

Mapcode Global: WHMTL.JYKF

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 25 September 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152707

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227726

Location: Stokesby with Herringby, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR29

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Civil Parish: Stokesby with Herringby

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Stokesby

Listing Text

STOKESBY WITH HERRINGBY RUNHAM ROAD
TG 41 SW
(north side)
6/56 Church of St. Andrew
25.9.62

- II*

Parish church. C13 west tower, Decorated nave and continuous chancel. Restored
1856-58, chancel further restored 1910-15. Flint, ashlar and brick with
thatched roof. 3 stage unbuttressed square tower. Square light to west.
Louvred 2-light Y traceried belfry windows. Belfry windows and triple
crenellated brick parapet probably of 1500 when appropriate bequest is
recorded. C18 gabled brick south porch, the C19 door of which has C14 starred
iron flushing plate and puller. Nave supported by stepped buttresses. South
side with 2 2-light C14 ogeed windows and one 3-light C15 Perpendicular
window, the latter under stilted arch. Arched north nave doorway and 2 2-light
C14 ogeed windows. Chancel with diagonal eastern buttresses. Flanks have
2 2-light ogeed windows each. 3-light cusped intersecting east window.
Priests' door to south. Interior. Simple chamfered tower arch, blocked and
with doorway. Nave roof 1856-58, scissor braced. Plain C20 font. No chancel
arch. Boarded scissor braced C19 chancel roof. Stepped sedilia and
cinquefoiled piscina. 6 pierced-back benches in nave with poppyheads. Arm
rests carved with animals and a kneeling woman at prayer. Brasses in chancel
floor : Edmund Clere and wife Elizabeth,1488, he is in military costume.
Inscription panel below; Thomas Gerard, 1506, in academical costume, with
inscription panel; Ann Cygges, widow of Sir Thomas Clere, 1570, with
inscription; Anne Heigham and children, wife of Thomas Clere, 1614, with
inscription.


Listing NGR: TG4359210568

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.