History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hempstead Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Hempstead, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8921 / 52°53'31"N

Longitude: 1.1148 / 1°6'53"E

OS Eastings: 609632

OS Northings: 337281

OS Grid: TG096372

Mapcode National: GBR T9L.LPD

Mapcode Global: WHLR2.3K4Q

Entry Name: Hempstead Hall

Listing Date: 20 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152720

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224057

Location: Hempstead, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hempstead

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hempstead All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Holt

Listing Text

HEMPSTEAD
TG 03 NE
2/28 Hempstead Hall
II
Large farmhouse of C17 origin, largely rebuilt late C19, dated 1880 on
wing gable end and 1877 on right gable tie cramp irons. Knapped flint
with brick dressings, plain roof tiles with courses of fishscale tiles.
Double depth, 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical facade of 3 bays with
connecting bay at left to forward projecting wing. Main facade: each bay
projects forward cl2cm and continues up to gable dormers with moulded brick
coping. Wide brick surrounds to window and doors. Central doorway has
moulded brick pediment, double leaved door with glazed upper panels and
rectangular fanlight. Tripartite sashes with glazing bars to ground and
first floor; sashes to dormers. Two axial stacks each of 4 shafts, 2x2,
with chamfered corners. Left hand connecting bay to wing forms through
passage. Doorway to front as central doorway, rear door has mullioned
fan light under 4-centred arch. Right hand gable has 2 sashes to ground
and first floor, one sash to attic, 5 tie cramp irons dated 1877. Forward
wing to left: (west), remains of C17 building: 2 storeys, attic and cellar;
south gable in coursed flint on flint plinth with quoins and cap of C17
brick; gable raised, former lower line visible, stone plaque at apex dated
1880; walls, windows and roof of east side as main front; west side has
coursed flint under pantiles; off-centre axial stack; outshut to west of
single storey with attic, was former dairy. Single storey extension to
rear of west wing of no special interest.


Listing NGR: TG0963237281

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.