History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farm House and Attached Garden Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Itteringham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8317 / 52°49'54"N

Longitude: 1.1851 / 1°11'6"E

OS Eastings: 614657

OS Northings: 330774

OS Grid: TG146307

Mapcode National: GBR VCS.DGP

Mapcode Global: WHLRH.52LZ

Entry Name: Manor Farm House and Attached Garden Walls

Listing Date: 20 February 1952

Last Amended: 20 February 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152734

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224064

Location: Itteringham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Itteringham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Itteringham with Mannington

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Itteringham

Listing Text

ITTERINGHAM
TG 13 SW
Manor Farm House and attached
7/43 garden walls (formerly listed as
20.2.52
Manor House)
II*

House with attached garden walls. Dated 1707. Brick with black unglazed
pantiles. L-plan with later additions, front range of 3 cells. Two storeys
and attic with cellar to right hand side. Symmetrical principal facade
of 6 cross windows to each floor grouped 3 and 3 having original lead-paned
casements, wrought iron fittings and pintle hinges, all under gauged brick
flat arches with stone keystones. Key stones inscribed 1 7 0 7 on first
floor, G F T R on ground floor. Central 6 panelled door underneath flat
arch of gauged brick having stone keystone inscribed with cipher TRM
(Thomas, d.1726, and Mary d.1725, Robins). Doorway flanked by brick square
pilasters surmounted by stone Corinthian capitals. Segmental pediment
and horizontal cornice in moulded brick flushed with lead contains blank
stone cartouche with festoons. Shaped gables with moulded brick caps;
gable end internal stacks. Left hand gable has moulded brick eaves
platband, fixed small windows either side of stack on ground, first and
attic floor. Right hand side (south): continuous brickwork and moulded
platband to gable and wing to left; eaves platband to shaped gable;
wrought iron scroll work on cramp iron ties; one cross window to left
of ground and first floor of gable; blocked doorway to right: Rear range
in 3 builds: to left continuation of front range, 2 bays, 2 storeys and
attic; lower 3 bay addition of 2 storeys and attic to right, part dated
70 on gable; at east end a lean-to of one storey and attic with datestone
to east inscribed PTM 1732. Left range attached to front: brick beneath
unglazed black and red pantiles; 4-light casement with transom to ground
floor; 2 leaded cross windows and blocked opening to first floor; raking
roof dormer with leaded casements; internal end stack. Lower range to
right separated by vertical junction of brick work; platband in moulded
brick continues line of platband from gable and left hand bays; moulded
brick cornice as on left hand bays but lower; red pantiles to left, black
to right; central boarded door to front passage flanked by cross windows:
2 leaded casements to first floor; blocked windows to ground and first
floor on left; raking roof dormer with leaded casement. Gable has blocked
square attic windows either side of central internal stack; frames with
leaded panes and single diamond sectioned wooden mullions are in situ
behind. Rear: wide stair outshut under pantiles to front range; blocked
window to outshut. Interior: front range: central cell has large paving
tiles; open well, open string staircase with thin barley sugar twisted
balusters, having 4 forming newel at base; carved brackets to stairs show
huntsmen and hounds; dog gate part renewed, with barley sugar bars above
and open panels below has contemporary strap hinge; panelling to stair
dado and below central flight. Right hand rooms to ground and first floor
have raised panelling. Left hand rooms to ground and first floors have
reeded fire cases and duck's nest grates. Jewel stopped chamfered beam
to ground floor rear wing of front range. Staggered purlin roof with collar
beams. Attached garden walls: Ramped walls projecting west from front,
that to right pierced by gate way; brick on brick plinth, dentil cornice
of moulded bricks under coping; right hand wall partly renewed. North
garden wall attached to left hand wall: brick with moulded brick to plinth.


Listing NGR: TG1465730774

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.