This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6042 / 52°36'15"N
Longitude: 1.5689 / 1°34'7"E
OS Eastings: 641754
OS Northings: 306691
OS Grid: TG417066
Mapcode National: GBR XKN.MH1
Mapcode Global: WHMTS.2SBY
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228633
Location: Halvergate, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Halvergate
Built-Up Area: Halvergate
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Halvergate St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HALVERGATE THE STREET (north
TG 40 NW
4/56 Church of St Peter
and St Paul.
Parish church, medieval, restored by Brown and Lowe 1857, new porch built
1867 by James Benest and new roof by R.M. Phipson 1873. Built of flint with
stone dressings and slate roof. West tower, south porch, nave and chancel.
3 stage tower, c.1450, with diagonal buttresses and south stair turret
projection. Flushwork buttress faces and base course. West doorway with
spandrels containing pendant shields. 3 light west window containing Perpen-
dicular tracery in stilted arch with hood mould. Rectangular traceried sound
holes on 2 levels. Top stage and half stage below rebuilt in flint and brick.
2 light belfry openings with 'Y' tracery. Stepped battlemented parapet. Porch
has parapet gables, diagonal buttresses, south doorway with attached shafts
and windows to north and south. Former finials, taken down from tower in 1958,
attached to buttresses to south east and south west. Finials, late C17 in
date, probably representing the evangelists. C14 doorway inside with ogee,
wave moulded arch, with crockets, crocketed pinnacles and finial 3, 2-light
windows with Curvilinear style tracery to south of nave. 3, 2-light windows
and blocked door to north. 2 western windows have 'Y' tracery, the other has
paired lancets. Mainly C19 chancel. Single 2-light C19 windows north and south,
and 3-light Decorated style window to east. Single buttresses to north,
diagonal buttresses at angles, parapet gables. Interior: mainly C19.
Perpendicular tower arch with attached shafts. Banner staff locker recess
in south nave wall. Perpendicular chancel arch with half shafts. Brasses on
north and south chancel walls.
Listing NGR: TG4175406691
Other nearby listed buildings