This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8252 / 52°49'30"N
Longitude: 0.656 / 0°39'21"E
OS Eastings: 579047
OS Northings: 328600
OS Grid: TF790286
Mapcode National: GBR Q5R.YFF
Mapcode Global: WHKQ3.17NZ
Entry Name: The Square
Listing Date: 9 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221607
Location: Houghton, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Houghton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Houghton-next-Harpley St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 7928 HOUGHTON HOUGHTON PARK
10/23 The Square.
Stable courtyard, known as the Square. C.1730, attributable to William Kent,
but perhaps supervised by Thomas Ripley architect. For Sir Robert Walpole,
later 1st Earl of Orford. Palladian. Largely coursed carstone, some brick
on south and west facades, brick with carstone dressings to interior courtyard.
Smut pantiles and slates, 15 bay east and west and 13 bay north and south
ranges, built around a courtyard. East and west facades have 3 bay centre-
pieces, 6 bay north and south ranges. Single bay angle towers. Centre bay
has raised chamfered rusticated keyed arch, boarded door. 2 flanking bays
having single boarded doors under arches with fixed casement lunette heads.
Each bay has single 2-light casements. Raised chamfered rusticated quoins
to central bay and flanking bay angles. Centre has third storey with Diocletian
window. Flanking bays have lean-to half pediments, clasping central full
pediment, Palladio's Rendentore arrangements. 6 north and south bays have
ground floor blank bays with piers with simple bases and capitals, fixed and
opening casements in arches above. 6 north and south 2-light casements above.
End bay forms angle towers with recessed blank bays with casements in arches,
2-light casements above. Raised and chamfered angle quoins. Octagonal third
storey turrets with round arched oculuses, cornice, and octagonal slated roofs
with large scale acorn finials. 4 roundels on pedestals at parapet level,
a direct Palladio quotation. Whole facade articulated with ground level plinth
first floor platband and eaves modillion cornice. West range has in addition
carved and brick blank arches to ground floor. Coat of arms with swags in
central pediment. Late C17 from earlier house with quarterings of Sir Robert
Walpole's grandfather. 4 stacks to each ridge. North facade has blank arches
with lunettes. Single bay centrepiece with rusticated, keyed open arch, third
floor Diocletian window and pediment. South facade has brick blank arches
to ground floor. 2 stacks to each ridge. Entrance arches have 2 leaf
contemporary iron gates. Courtyard facades: 13 bay east and west, and 9 north
and south, repeat details of outer facades. Brick with carstone plinths,
platbands and modillion cornices and pediments. Contemporary 2 leaf cast iron
gates with speared dog and upper rails fixed against inner north and south
entrances. Interior: ground floor with brick quadripartite vaults. At north
east C18 stalls with oak Doric columns, with roundels marking divisions,
rectangular oak piers supporting vaults. C19 loose boxes. West range largely
converted to garages c.1900. See Isaac Ware Plans, Elevations and Sections
of Houghton. (1735) 1750 edition pls. 33, 34. Mrs Herbert Jones Houghton in
the Brake (Norwich 1878).
Listing NGR: TF7904728600
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings