This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6771 / 52°40'37"N
Longitude: 0.3652 / 0°21'54"E
OS Eastings: 559998
OS Northings: 311451
OS Grid: TF599114
Mapcode National: GBR N4N.356
Mapcode Global: WHJPD.LZ30
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 9 July 1951
Last Amended: 20 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152801
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221370
Location: Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE34
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen
Built-Up Area: Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen BU
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 51 SE WIGGENHALL ST. MARY MAGDALEN CHURCH ROAD
3/38 The Priory
9.7.51 (formerly listed as
House. originally T plan hall house, timber framed of c.1500, remodelled and
floored c.1525 when cased in brick, the hall floored and substantially rebuilt.
Restored 1970's. Concrete roof tiles. 2 storeys. Main range with central
late C20 gabled porch on reused Cl6 moulded posts. 1 late C20 casement left
and right. Blocked square hall window to left below 2 C20 upper casements.
Gabled roof with rebuilt ridge and south gable stacks. South gable stepped:
to ground floor blocked doorway now containing statue in niche. Moulded brick
square light to right with hollow jambs under square hood on labels. 2 similar
windows first floor and attic, the latter with round heads. Gable on kneelers.
East side has scattered C20 casements and remains of blocked windows. Service
wing projects at north but truncated to fall flush with C16 porch entrance :
square doorway with wave moulded jambs and lintel of moulded brick under square
hood on labels, now blocked with C20 casement. External stack to north wall
of service wing. Gabled service wing projects to west of main range. Interior.
Disposition of hall plan intact. Porch his tierceron terracotta rib vault with
C20 rose boss replacing missing boss and leads to screens passage, originaly
hall to left, service bays to right. Sitting room with fine ribbon moulded
bridging beam with vine trail and roll moulded joists. Wall plate above fire-
place with rosette and stud decoration once extended round room as cornice.
Fireplace with brick nogging and wave moulded brick jambs. Dining room
bridging beam has multiple hollow and roll mouldings with joists as before.
Fireplace as sitting room but with late C20 nogging. Slightly domed brick
vaulted cellar with terracotta tierceron rib vault on 2 bay diagonal system.
Roof of 2 crown post trusses : moulded tie beams on arched braced to wall posts;
square section crown posts arch braced to tie beam each with 4 top arched braces
to collars and purlin.
Listing NGR: TF5999811451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings