This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7502 / 51°45'0"N
Longitude: -2.3161 / 2°18'58"W
OS Eastings: 378271
OS Northings: 205767
OS Grid: SO782057
Mapcode National: GBR 0L3.97W
Mapcode Global: VH94W.S8XN
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and Angels
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132305
Location: Eastington, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: Eastington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Eastington St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
13/46 Church of St. Michael and
Anglican parish church. C14, dedicated 1340 to St. Mary, known as
St. Michael's from C18, probably on site of earlier church. Nave
rebuilt c1500 and south aisle added in early C16 by Duke of
Buckingham, north porch 1652, C19 vestry; restored 1851, including
lengthening of chancel, and 1885. Ashlar, stone slate roof with
coped verges and saddlestones with cross finials. West tower, nave
and clerestory with south aisle running whole length, north porch
and north transeptal organ chamber, chancel and small north vestry.
Tower of 3 stages with string courses, clasped buttresses up to
first string course, embattled parapet with square stair tower
projecting above height of parapet on north side surmounted by
weathercock said to be C16; small 2-light trefoils with quatrefoil
over to each face of top stage, glazed to south and rest louvred
for belfry; small single lights on middle stage; lowest stage has
3-light west window with reticulated tracery. South aisle and
clerestory windows Perpendicular and mostly 3-light, and four-
centred archway with square hoodmould and enriched spandrels with
carved letters SB for Stafford and Buckingham, and 3-light east
window with complicated Perpendicular tracery and square hoodmould
with angels and shields on stops. Restored 3-light chancel east
window with arched hoodmould, and carved memorial tablet adjoining
with cherub's heads and swag and illegible slate inscription panel,
probably of early/mid C18. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows
between north porch and transept, forming virtually single windows
for nave and clerestory, with transom marking change in level.
Gabled north porch with chamfered rounded archway.
Interior: Six-bay nave arcade to south with octagonal piers, 2 to
east having been restored in 1885 when elaborate semi-pyramidal
painted compartmented choir, ceiling, pulpit, stone choir screen,
lectern and pews were inserted. Chancel ceiling also painted, rest
plain. Norman tub font to south west. Many good marble monuments
and floor brasses to Stephens family, early lords of the Manor,
including large altar tomb near font with recumbent figures of
Edward Stephens (died 1587) and wife, with very small heads.
(VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972; David Verey, The Buildings of
England - Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980)
Listing NGR: SO7827105767
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings