This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5661 / 52°33'57"N
Longitude: 1.5809 / 1°34'51"E
OS Eastings: 642781
OS Northings: 302496
OS Grid: TG427024
Mapcode National: GBR XL7.4HY
Mapcode Global: WHMTZ.8R2N
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152823
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228650
Location: Reedham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Reedham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Reedham St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
REEDHAM CHURCH LANE
TG 40 SW
7/73 Church of St. John the
Parish church. C14 with C15 west tower, body of church re-roofed and repaired
after fire damage in 1981. Flint, brick and limestone with limestone dressings.
Pantiled roofs. West tower nave, chancel incorporating former south aisle, north
porch, vestry. Square C15 west tower with staged angle buttresses. Base course
of flushwork panels with traceried heads. West door with square label mould and
traceried spandrels. 3-light Perpendicular west window with hood mould on head
stops. Square traceried sound holes, 3-light bell openings, restored. Polygonal
stair turret on south side. South doorway to nave now blocked. Double lancets
between staged buttresses in south nave wall. South wall of chancel has two
2-light windows with 'Y'-tracery c.1300. Priest's door between windows with
headstops to hood mould. Massive raking brick buttress at south-east corner.
Double-pitch east gable : east window of south chancel aisle a triple stepped
lancet with continuous hood mould and head stops. 4-light east window to chancel
with intersecting tracery. 2-light 'Y'-tracery window in east wall of vestry.
Staged buttress between chancel and south aisle. The north side of the church
displays much early brick, some set in herringbone-pattern in the flintwork with
brick quoins to the north-east corner of the nave. 2-light Decorated window in
north chancel wall; three 2-light 'Y'-tracery windows in north wall of nave,
the easternmost set in a much reduced opening. Entrance to north porch has drip
mould with head-stops and a blocked niche in the gable. Staged diagonal
buttresses to north gable wall. North doorway has hood mould with headstops and
stooling for finial at arch apex. Interior re-ordered and re-furnished following
fire damage in March 1981. Plastered ceilings cover new roof structures. Chancel
arch and south chapel arch open into nave. Chancel arch has a double plain
chamfer, the inner order carried on corbelled polygonal responds with cusped
ogee arcading. Chancel south arcade to chapel C14, of two bays with an octagonal
pier and double chamfered arches; a taller bay added to the east c.1500 with
polygonal responds and castellated abaci. Two cusped recesses in north chancel
wall and vestry door with an ogee headed arch on head stops. Two fine C16 chest
tombs in the south chapel; one with inscription not decipherable, the western
tomb to Henry Berney +1584. Tomb-chest with Tuscan colonnettes, four centred
arched recess above flanked by Ionic columns with kneeling figures in relief.
Scrolled ogee arch above containing arms.
Listing NGR: TG4278102496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings