This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8183 / 50°49'5"N
Longitude: -2.6235 / 2°37'24"W
OS Eastings: 356175
OS Northings: 102264
OS Grid: ST561022
Mapcode National: GBR MP.XP5G
Mapcode Global: FRA 56DX.V2C
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 12 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152846
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105466
Location: Rampisham, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Rampisham
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Rampisham St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 50 SE RAMPISHAM RAMPISHAM VILLAGE
3/141 The Manor House
Manor House. Early C17, remodelled internally late C19, and
with early C20 additions on the east and north-west. Rubble-
stone and dressed stone walls with ashlar quoins. Roman tile
roofs, hipped. Stone and brick stacks on south ridge, and
brick on north-west wing. Two storeys and attics. Entrance
front, 3 windows then north-west range, 2 storey porch,
gabled, left of centre. Mullion-and-transom windows, mainly
of 4 lights, with separate labels over the ground floor
windows. Iron casements, leaded. Porch entrance has a depressed-
arch head with separate label over. Plank door inside. South
elevation: 5 windows, also of mullion-and-transom type, with
2-light windows over. C20 dormers inserted on the north and
south elevations. Depressed-arch doorway at centre, with
separate label over. High up on this wall is a small round
dial, dated 1608. Interior: completely remodelled, late C19.
South-west room has an overmantel made up of C17, fragments
from the former screen mentioned in Hutchins; it has a frieze
with fruit and swags; there are fragments from the same source
in the north-east room. Both rooms have panelled C17 doors
with elaborate enrichment over the doorways and scrolled
cresting. Fragment of early C16 glass with a red rose and a
number of C14 slip-tiles found near the house and including
shields-of-arms of Bryan. (RCHM).
(RCHM Dorset I, p192(6). J Hutchins, History of Dorset vol II,
p694, 3rd ed. 1861-74).
Listing NGR: ST5617502264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings