This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6386 / 52°38'18"N
Longitude: 1.4007 / 1°24'2"E
OS Eastings: 630192
OS Northings: 309963
OS Grid: TG301099
Mapcode National: GBR WHQ.DZM
Mapcode Global: WHMTH.HY73
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152889
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228481
Location: Great and Little Plumstead, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Great and Little Plumstead
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Plumstead St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 30 NW GREAT & LITTLE PLUMSTEAD CHURCH ROAD
Church of St. Mary
25/9/62 the Virgin, Great
Parish church, containing medieval fragments, with tower dated 1711, and
restored in 1875. Flint with brick and stone dressings and plain tile roof.
West tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Tower, of brick, built off the
medieval flint base. Built in two stages, with clasping pilasters. Inserted
C19 single light west window with stilted 'Tudor' arch. Date plaque to south
in recess with moulded cornice above and sill band below. Vent loop type
sound holes to north and south. String course at bell chamber floor level.
Honeycomb brick belfry openings with semi-circular arches with key block.
Reset medieval gargoyles below chequered flint and stone battlemented parapet
with brick finials. Remainder of church mainly C19. 3 bay nave with offset
buttresses and 3 light Perpendicular style windows. Blocked north door.
Gabled south porch with parapet. Single light lancet on north chancel wall.
3 light C19 Perpendicular style window, central blocked priest's door and
small 2 light window on south side. C19. 3 light Perpendicular window,
flanked by 2 reset C13 blocked lancet windows. Parapet gables with stone
kneelers. Interior C19. Stoup adjacent to south door. C13 shafts visible
on east chancel wall. Steps to rood loft in north chancel wall. 2 small
brasses in floor. Tower inscription reads: This tower restored, Thom Marker
and Mr. Joseph Vincent Church Wardens 1711. Hopper heads dated 1875.
Listing NGR: TG3019209963
Other nearby listed buildings