History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Earl's Court

A Grade II Listed Building in East Cliff and Springbourne, Bournemouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7206 / 50°43'14"N

Longitude: -1.8608 / 1°51'39"W

OS Eastings: 409919

OS Northings: 91224

OS Grid: SZ099912

Mapcode National: GBR X9K.KS

Mapcode Global: FRA 67Z5.QVL

Entry Name: Earl's Court

Listing Date: 31 January 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1152973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101752

Location: Bournemouth, BH1

County: Bournemouth

Unitary Authority Ward: East Cliff and Springbourne

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Winton

Listing Text

1.
5186 GERVIS ROAD
(South Side)
No 9
(Earl's Court)
SZ 0991 20/177 31.1.75.

II

2.
Polychromatic Gothic villa, circa 1865, 3 storeys and basement, grey brick with
red brick bands and voussoirs. Half-hipped gables with thick traceried bargeboards
and moulded brick cornices. Half-hipped porch canopy at north-west corner on
chamfered timber brackets, staircase up to vestibule lit by 2-light windows
with stone Geometrical tracery. Straight-headed 4-light window to hall, next
to it tall arched 4-light staircase window with Geometrical tracery. Projecting
north-east wing closing forecourt. Garden front (south) dominated by off-centre
polygonal bay with steeply gabled dormers in hipped roof. Chimneys with end
stacks turned diagonally and vertical strips of red brick. Built in 1874 by
the first Earl Cairns who was Lord Chancellor in Disraeli's Governments of 1867-8
and 1874-80. He occupied the house until his death in 1885. Included for historical
reasons.


Listing NGR: SZ0991991224

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.